All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1971 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Can you check if the visible/invisible crashes are gone in BETA039? I solved a cause of reload crashes in the DSP plugin. Possibly in others (VST, Generic) as well. (Window only).
Ah, bummer. They are not gone in 039. Making the window hidden seems to work most of the time, but going visible again always crashes.
I feel a bit like an idiot. I downloaded MPC-HE (version 2.2.0 from January 11th), and I just can't figure out where to load the plugin. I remember that a very long time ago, whenever you played a video there would be an FFDShow tray icon, but I don't see that. Google isn't helpful and ChatGPT is overloaded. Can you give me some hints?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:46 pm 

Quote:
I feel a bit like an idiot. I downloaded MPC-HE (version 2.2.0 from January 11th), and I just can't figure out where to load the plugin. I remember that a very long time ago, whenever you played a video there would be an FFDShow tray icon, but I don't see that. Google isn't helpful and ChatGPT is overloaded. Can you give me some hints?
No worries! It felt convoluted figuring out, and I only stumbled upon it while trying to load custom subtitle rendering. In MPC-BE (I assume it's the same in MPC-HE) View > Options > External Filters > Add Filter... "ffdshow Audio Decoder"

From there you can enable it and double-click it to open the configurator. Or you can play some media and check the tray for the blue FFDSHOW icon if it's working. Or when playing media, click the Play menu > Filters > and from there you can find an ffdshow Audio Decoder link to the configurator as well.

I even had to manually add FFDSHOW to the name of the shortcuts in the start menu for them to show in the win10 start menu search. They really don't seem to want you to find the damn thing and set it up.

EDIT: Oh, you may need the x86 version of the player for FFDSHOW to appear.
EDIT2: The reason we choose "ffdshow Audio Decoder" rather than "ffdshow Audio Processor" is because it doesn't want to let you select the Winamp plugins directory.

Last edited by MrKlorox on Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:27 pm 

There's MPC-HC (Home Cinema) and MPC-BE (Black Edition). They were very similar in the past but diverged over time (different decoders, audio renderer, file handling, etc.). I would be suprised if they behave the same now, also in terms of crashing.

There's a "ffdshow Audio Processor" which I use instead of the "ffdshow Audio Decoder".
ffdshow needs the plugin to be in "Winamp\Plugins" otherwise it won't be found.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:30 pm 

Quote:
There's MPC-HC (Home Cinema) and MPC-BE (Black Edition). They were very similar in the past but diverged over time (different decoders, audio renderer, file handling, etc.). I would be suprised if they behave the same now, also in terms of crashing.

There's a "ffdshow Audio Processor" which I use instead of the "ffdshow Audio Decoder".
ffdshow needs the plugin to be in "Winamp\Plugins" otherwise it won't be found.
Ah, I just edited my post. I'll try that tweak. For some reason, it won't see the plugins and the dialog for selecting the directory won't pop. That's why I was using Decoder.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, I have MPC-HE kinda running here (no audio appears to be passing through it), but I do see the crashes. The issue is that when you set it to "Visible", the window doesn't appear, and due to this the state information is all wrong. I'll look into it; it reproduces *and* I can attach the debugger to it, so I should be able to figure out what's happening.

Edit: Some weird things are happening. Something is closing our GUI window, but it's not us. I've partially worked around it (it crashes in multiple locations; the first crash is gone now).

Edit #2: It looks like FFDShow is closing our window, bypassing all of our control code. This leaves things in an invalid state, which in turn causes crashes. This isn't an easy one to fix, we'll probably look into this on Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:12 am 

Quote:
Edit #2: It looks like FFDShow is closing our window, bypassing all of our control code. This leaves things in an invalid state, which in turn causes crashes. This isn't an easy one to fix, we'll probably look into this on Thursday.
That was what I was worried about... FFDSHOW itself being the issue, that is.

I was thinking, surely there has to be a more modern fork or alternative implementation... but I had no luck finding anything else in regard to a media player that could render a multitude of video files with DSP or VST support. And \_/ surely would need different additional software for their use as well.

Just to clarify, VLC can't host Stereo Tool as a plugin in any way, correct?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
That was what I was worried about... FFDSHOW itself being the issue, that is.

I was thinking, surely there has to be a more modern fork or alternative implementation... but I had no luck finding anything else in regard to a media player that could render a multitude of video files with DSP or VST support. And \_/ surely would need different additional software for their use as well.

Just to clarify, VLC can't host Stereo Tool as a plugin in any way, correct?
No, VLC can't. I do expect that we can fix this, but there are multiple weird things happening. One thing that I just verified is that if I decouple our window from FFDShow (which is what the old GUI did, but that was actually a bug), most of the issues disappear. But decoupling it has some other behavioral drawbacks (the Stereo Tool window will show up as a completely unrelated window in the task bar; the old GUI did that).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Greetings on this thread also and many Kudoz for this magic software!

So, I tried to use the latest 10.02 Beta (and 10.0.1 earlier) and unfortunately the output of the sound was filled with crackling noises. My setup currently is this :

Jazzler --> VAC Input --> StereoTool --> Stream with the build-in engine or with RadioCaster.

At first I got scared and rolled back - most settings seemed to have been loaded properly which meant the preset was ok. Today, I tried again and I still got the crackling sound.
Finally I spotted that the culprit (in my case) was that for some reason ST had selected for my Input Kernel Streaming/ VAC - B Output . Theoretically Kernel/Wasapi/Mme should all be working correctly, but only MME seems to be working.

Red for Crackling, Green for sweet sweet sound!

ST.jpg
Hello dR_wH0,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I want to investigate this issue further, because i would expect the old and new code to behave exactly the same. If they don't, that points at a bug or change somewhere. It may only affect one person now, and you managed to work around it, but once we release this this will probably cause issues for many people.

So, first can you tell me what the exact difference is in behavior between version 9.92 and 10.02?

Which of these work?
MME in 9.92 vs 10.02
Kernel Streaming in 9.92 vs 10.02
Wasapi in 9.92 vs 10.02

What I think based on your earlier comments is that MME works in both versions, Kernel Streaming works fine in 9.92 but is broken in 10.02, Wasapi unknown for 9.92 and broken in 10.02. Can you confirm these and test Wasapi in 9.92?

Also, is your output buffer very small? Because there are 2 possible reasons for this: The output buffer might be on the edge and be _just_ fine in 9.92 and not in 10.02, or the sound card driver might be behaving differently, which would mean that we're doing something differently in accessing it.

Also, if you tested version 10.01 (that was very early in this beta post), that was before we updated the I/O layer in Stereo Tool... I'll wait for your answers first, I might have other tests to suggest depending on what they are.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:07 pm 

Oh, I just realized the date in the opening post still says 2022. This is the first time it's sunken into me that it's incorrect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:21 am 

Quote:
Oh, I just realized the date in the opening post still says 2022. This is the first time it's sunken into me that it's incorrect.
Ah what's a mere date typo error, Hans has more important things to take care of... ;)
Next I suppose you'll be complaining about the date in the "About" (in the DSP)....
"Thimeo Stereo Tool version 10.02 BETA038 (February 2023)"
They're just thinking ahead :)
As long as it works, who needs to pay attention to the date :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1971 Next