All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 671 Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
wasapi not good.
Stand alone? What happens exactly? It should be the same as in Enterprise and I didn't see anything weird here. Is this beta006 specifically or also 005?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:34 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
wasapi not good.
Stand alone? What happens exactly? It should be the same as in Enterprise and I didn't see anything weird here. Is this beta006 specifically or also 005?
Standalone, both beta 5 and 6. Input seems fine, but as soon i select it on Normal Output it shopping sound constantly. Strange since input sync seems fine. Also i see it makes huge underflow on VAC cable.
KS is ok.
Also noticed that with wasapi it opens cable to 24bit and MME is opening it at 16bit.
For some reason on XP it does not write ini. It does not remember last state after ST restart.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
wasapi not good.
Standalone, both beta 5 and 6. Input seems fine, but as soon i select it on Normal Output it shopping sound constantly. Strange since input sync seems fine. Also i see it makes huge underflow on VAC cable.
KS is ok.
So, the buffer filling looks ok? Increasing the buffer size doesn't help? I need to ask because I see no issue here, so I need to figure out what's different. Have you ever used this in previous Enterprise builds? If not, there might just be some difference in how the sound card is opened (things like block size, exclusive or not).
Quote:
Also noticed that with wasapi it opens cable to 24bit and MME is opening it at 16bit.
I think that that's normal? Is that different from before? MME does whatever Windows' mixer does - so what's configured in Windows. KS and Wasapi overrule the defaults.
Quote:
For some reason on XP it does not write ini. It does not remember last state after ST restart.
Huh. That's weird. Will look into it.

Note: On my end, the Winamp build with the new GUI crashes on startup. I'll try to investigate and fix that too before running a new build.

Edit: I think I may have found something suspicious, but I'm at home now and I cannot easily test if I'm right (I want to test it on a lot of sound cards and be able to hear the output). But I think I found a difference in the block size that's used between the old and new code, and the could very well explain this issue - and maybe also why the latencies are different with the new I/O layer. The old code seems to let the sound card determine which size it wants (it uses "unspecified" by default, unless you override the size in the GUI settings). The new code has size 1024 hard coded, ignoring any GUI values. So that's definitely wrong.

On most sound cards this doesn't cause issues, which explains why I didn't notice it. If you use the older versions (with the old I/O framework) and set the block size to 1024, you should get the same behavior.

I will probably fix this on Monday when I can properly test it (unless I get bored during the weekend and go to the office to test it there ;) ).

Edit #2: I see that on XP, the settings are saved, but the file name ends at .NEW, so for example C:\Documents and Settings\username\stereo_tool.ini.NEW . Remove the .NEW and the settings are loaded... There's some code to avoid loosing settings if something goes wrong (think a disk full error), which apparently doesn't completely do what it should. All of a sudden. Do you have any idea when this broke?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:40 pm 

I don't use wasapi, only MME, so i just checked wasapi and noticed that.
I even gone and set all to 24bit in windows sound but does not help. Yes, buffer fill seems fine and sync too.
Also checked 9.84.beta027 wich i use in transmitter with XP and it also chopping sound on my PC when wasapi is used.
Not saving ini on XP, - idk when that started since i use this 32bit 9.84.beta027enterprize since then. Wanted to replace it with this beta6 but huh.
And there is no .NEW file, just checked.

I will update one Transmitter site with windows7 later, with beta6, backup and everything, i'll se how that will go.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I even gone and set all to 24bit in windows sound but does not help. Yes, buffer fill seems fine and sync too.
Also checked 9.84.beta027 wich i use in transmitter with XP and it also chopping sound on my PC when wasapi is used.
Not saving ini on XP, - idk when that started since i use this 32bit 9.84.beta027enterprize since then. Wanted to replace it with this beta6 but huh.
Ok, so the Wasapi issue is not a new I/O layer thing then (there's still a problem in the code though).

I've just compared the save code of 9.83 with that of the latest beta, and there's really nothing changed. I'm going to add logging to see what happens; fortunately the issue does reproduce here on XP.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:03 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, so the Wasapi issue is not a new I/O layer thing then (there's still a problem in the code though).

I've just compared the save code of 9.83 with that of the latest beta, and there's really nothing changed. I'm going to add logging to see what happens; fortunately the issue does reproduce here on XP.
I renamed StereTool.exe and it now writes ini just fine with that same new name. But still after restart does not update ini.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I renamed StereTool.exe and it now writes ini just fine with that same new name. But still after restart does not update ini.
Found it. It's apparently a bug in Microsoft's compiler. This:
Code:
stat(file, &buffer) == 0
should return true if file exists, false otherwise. But on XP it always returns false. So, our code assumed that there was no settings file yet, which in turn caused this issue.

The old code just tried if it could read from the file, and if that failed assumed that it didn't exist. The stat() solution is much nicer, but... doesn't work. At least not on XP. It works everywhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:14 pm 

oh please, i just don't want to upgrade OS :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
:)
It's working again. Just need to check what was wrong with the Winamp new GUI version before I start a new build.

Edit: Nothing wrong with the new GUI Winamp plugin - I think something went wrong with last night's build (it also crashed so I had to restart it). I'll run a new build tonight. We still need to go through many of the comments of the last few days, and the I/O layer hasn't been adjusted yet to work the same as before - that will come next week.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:08 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
:)
It's working again. Just need to check what was wrong with the Winamp new GUI version before I start a new build.

Edit: Nothing wrong with the new GUI Winamp plugin - I think something went wrong with last night's build (it also crashed so I had to restart it). I'll run a new build tonight. We still need to go through many of the comments of the last few days, and the I/O layer hasn't been adjusted yet to work the same as before - that will come next week.
Great!
I just done upgrade on one client with Win7 and beta6 with input2backup and asio on mains, all seems to work fine.
I'm only afraid to ask about resampler with separate I/O samplerates. :roll:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 671 Next