All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:18 pm 

Hi,
I have followed the video of Hanz who demonstrate ST on a Pi4 with HIFIBERRY DAC+ ADC sound card to produce mpx signal.
I have tested, but i'm not satisfied of the sound quality. I just use the composite clipper, because source is already treated by ST in studio, but the quality of the treble is not good. Is it due to the sound card ?
Someone use this config and have the same problem ?
Regards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:34 pm 

I think I found the problem.
I started with old version 9.3x
In this version, only Quality (to limit CPU was available).
In version 9.50 there is Quality and Limit CPU settings. Quality was set under 100% but sound quality was not good.
After changing Quality to 100% and Limit CPU to Low (Pi4), the sound is goot and the PICPU don't grown above 60% :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:35 pm 

Quote:
I think I found the problem.
I started with old version 9.3x
In this version, only Quality (to limit CPU was available).
In version 9.50 there is Quality and Limit CPU settings. Quality was set under 100% but sound quality was not good.
After changing Quality to 100% and Limit CPU to Low (Pi4), the sound is goot and the PICPU don't grown above 60% :-)
Hi,
I think to use raspberry pi4 4gb with hifi berry DAC as you did. But I wonder the 7/24 long term performance of the hardware.
Could you please share your experience if you used it continuously in real life conditions?
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Lots of stations are using Pi 3 and 4's at their transmitter sites with MicroMPX. That uses less CPU than Stereo Tool so it's not completely comparable, but some of those stations have been running this hardware for years and I know one media group that's running MicroMPX on Pi 3's at 63 transmitter sites. Everything seems to be stable.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:27 pm 

Hi,
I use ST on the Pi4 at transmitter site with DAC and input line as source from now +- 1 year. Never a problem. No need to reboot.
I plan now once to go on site to upgrade to the last version.
It's a very interresting solution at low cost :-)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:15 pm 

Quote:
Hi,
I use ST on the Pi4 at transmitter site with DAC and input line as source from now +- 1 year. Never a problem. No need to reboot.
I plan now once to go on site to upgrade to the last version.
It's a very interresting solution at low cost :-)
I want to install standalone version on Pi4.
You mean standalone version or micro mpx?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:14 am 

Stand alone version

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:52 pm 

Stef, very cool. Do you do anything special to keep the Raspberry Pi cool while under load with the HiFiBerry HAT attached? Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:03 pm 

Quote:
Stef, very cool. Do you do anything special to keep the Raspberry Pi cool while under load with the HiFiBerry HAT attached? Thank you!
For what it's worth, I use the Raspberry Pi 4 (4Gb) with HifiBerry HAT (DAC+ADC Pro) running ST 24/7 without any issues. I use the steel case provided by HifiBerry and nothing else, no heat sink nor fan. The temperature tends to vary between 67-70c.