All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1114 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
For some reason i found that bass reduces highs. Something in clipper. it's something that steep reduces highs form 4-5kHz and up. Also bass does not reduce almost nothing from 1 to 4kHz.

edit:
omg, i found huge bug in clipper, atleast i thing it's bug. 2nd bass clipper adjusted to default settings. When i set always clip bellow and dyn clip below to +6 Still all same, but when i set freqs to 0 everything works fine even sound is better and there is no reducing highs because bass. Those freq sliders should do nothing if "always clip bass below" and one under it is to 0 or +6. But they are doing something they should not do.
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't see it here. Tried this:
- RESET ALL, FM on (with RDS/Stereo), Advanced+Composite Clipper on, drive +12 dB
- Test file: Tone at 100 Hz, 1000 Hz, plus hiss above 4 kHz

With that, I see no difference in output between setting both bass thresholds to +6, and keeping them at +6 and setting the frequencies from 80/220 to 0/0.

If I set the levels to -18 dB, more highs and mids get through, and a lot less bass @ 100 Hz, but that makes sense.
Was testing with pink noise.
So all default in clipper, 'always clip deep bass below" to 0 or +6, 'Dynamically reduce' also to 0 or +6. clipper around +10dB

And then when i set both freqs to 0 sound is cleaner and no distortions from noise.
With pink noise at this level I see 0.2 dB *less* bass when the frequencies are set to 0/0 instead of 80/220. Going to 0/220 (instead of 80/220) reduces it by 0.15 dB, going to 0/0 by 0.20. Which lets a similar amount (0.2 dB) more highs through.

Edit: I found the cause of the 0.15 dB. Fixing that (which is roughly similar to setting the start frequency to 0 Hz, but not completely) would affect the mid-bass, I think. But that's probably better than the highs.

Edit 2: Found the remaining 0.06 dB as well. I don't think that changing that is an improvement though (I expect it to create a lot of highs IMD).

Actually, I'm not sure that either is an improvement, but it's impossible to test without having a lot of side effects (by changing the thresholds to +6 dB). So for now I have created 2 extra Legacy checkboxes on the ABDP page, to turn both things off separately for testing.

"TEST VLB 1" might be good. "BAD! VLB 2" should be bad, if it's not then something else must be broken. Or it's just removing too much bass, which would - as a side effect - protect the highs against IMD. But the real IMD protection that's usually working very well seems to be turned off by "BAD! VLB 2".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:55 pm 

Try with "difference" button in Clipper. It starts on both sliders around 11Hz.

Also i don't understand that at default settings, with both sliders to +6, i hear distortions and that is ok. but when i set freq sliders to 0Hz suddenly no distortions, and you measured just some small amount of bass drop.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:24 pm 

Something is wrong with FM bypass level. Sometimes is lower. I just found turning EQ On and Off.. makes level difference. (hard limit off)
Actually MB1, MB2, Singleband.. and many others.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Try with "difference" button in Clipper. It starts on both sliders around 11Hz.

Also i don't understand that at default settings, with both sliders to +6, i hear distortions and that is ok. but when i set freq sliders to 0Hz suddenly no distortions, and you measured just some small amount of bass drop.
Yes, something is weird. I haven't checked distortion yet but the behavior is unexpected. Well, for "TEST VLB 1", it makes sense. I don't understand "BAD! VLB 2" yet. There's a build running now, so more testing will be possible tomorrow. (it's hard to test in debug mode, since everything is so slow - but a release build takes hours).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Something is wrong with FM bypass level. Sometimes is lower. I just found turning EQ On and Off.. makes level difference. (hard limit off)
Actually MB1, MB2, Singleband.. and many others.
I think I know what's causing it, one "fixup" filter seems to be still active which is affected by settings in lots of filters. Not 100% sure though because I did add code to turn that off, but the behavior matches this thing exactly. Will verify it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:54 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stereo Tool should ask for microphone permission, and has done that for at least a year or so (I haven't looked back further). Did you get a popup like in this page, the first time you ran it?

https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... e_on_macos
No popups. On my main mac; the last one to ask for anything was 9.63 but that one didnt pass audio.
Last to ask for persmission and also pass audio was 9.62.
So I tried a clean install on another mac, same OS version, and no popup there either.

Both running macOS 10.15.7.

Did a reboot into an image of Sierra (10.12.6) and it plays perfectly there, so its in Catalina the problem is.

MrDonT
Temporary workaround: Start stereo_tool from the command line, bypassing the whole .app structure (so just go to the directory where Stereo Tool is installed and type ./stereo_tool). That way it DOES ask for microphone access. I don't yet know why it doesn't when you start it normally.

I have added an explicit request for microphone access, but based on the descriptions that shouldn't be needed. (Apple's documentation is absolutely horrible though, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is wrong).
Well, two shortly recapture, I've tried even the terminal way, but with still no luck. it signes the app but still audio input. And it was like this a few years bach with watccat and some libraries. So for the beta test on going, I'm now going for a simple solution Tomorrow I'll be picking up a cheap win 7 dell box to be able to continue to develvelope presets, The old win7 box died a few weeks ago, and I thought I could go back the mac world to keep stuff running. But, No Can Go, back to a win that is. I do know that apple made a few stepst tougher in theire last macOS releases, but I aint gonna hang that on you.

Hopefully I might get back to some kina preset developement soon.

Take care and stay healthy,

MrDonT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:33 am 

Hans, the High frequency tilt correction under "FM sound card" is broken in the beta.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hans, the High frequency tilt correction under "FM sound card" is broken in the beta.
Yes, that should be fixed in the next build (BETA009, which I'm posting now).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:09 pm 

OK, gui is back on this specific PC. Now i see this "test" and "bad',. What is it exactly?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
OK, gui is back on this specific PC. Now i see this "test" and "bad',. What is it exactly?
That's the two different things I found that responded to 80/220 which possibly (probably?) shouldn't. BAD! would be bad if it helps, so if it does something is wrong. Keep them on for old behavior, off for new (test) behavior. (Sorry, they were called "Legacy" before but I changed them in the last moment and didn't realize how confusing that would be).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1114 Next