All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Artist and Title
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:31 pm 

Hey! First of all, thanks for making a free version of Stereo Tool available! My station is developing a new music format and to test this we're running a separate stream which needs 'just a bit' of processing so it doesn't sound too dull. The free version of Stereo Tool is perfect for this!

I have everything setup and working, and I use Stereo Tool send the stream to the shoutcast server. All works except sending the artist and title to the server. Our automation outputs a .txt file to 'c:\users\username\desktop\rds.txt' with just a bare formatted 'Pointer Sisters - Jump' (for example) as it's entire content.

I use the default settings as shown in the picture linked below. I tried removing the spaces around the dashes but it didn't help. Am I doing something wrong?

https://imgur.com/ScQ5KAM

PS: Normally i'd use Edcast for streaming, but using the builtin streamer in Stereotool saves me some audio routing challenges, and would introduce another possible point of failure.

Post subject: Re: Artist and Title
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:29 am 

I use the Stereo Tool encoding feature and I'm very happy with it. WHAT VERSION ARE YOU USING? The file-watcher capabilities were added later than the dialog box in Stereo Tool.

I strongly suggest you do not use the hyphen as a delimiter. Hyphens occur in artist and title names, which can throw off the parser. My Now Playing text file (output from the automation) looks like this:

My configuration inside Stereo Tool looks like this:

This setup seems to work pretty well on my system.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:22 pm 

Hey! Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response on my side.
I have now tried entering <title> and </title> and <artist> and </artist> and pointing it to an XML file with those entries.
I am streaming to a good old Shoutcast 1.9.8 server, this may be relevant.

As for Stereo Tool; I'm using using the standalone version 9.52 on Windows 10, as far as I'm aware this is the latest available version.

Unfortunately, I just does not appear to send the data to the stream.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:11 pm 

Make sure Stereo Tool has the right permissions so that it can see the XML file. I've seen people have issues because the application was not able to read from network drives, or what have you. So see if running as administrator works, or moving the XML to a different local folder.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:21 pm 

Quote:
Make sure Stereo Tool has the right permissions so that it can see the XML file. I've seen people have issues because the application was not able to read from network drives, or what have you. So see if running as administrator works, or moving the XML to a different local folder.
Thanks for the suggestion! I tried this, moved the RDS output to c:\data\rds.xml and gave 'Everyone' in Windows full read and write permissions to that folder. Unfortunately, no sigar. (and no working title announcements either ;) )

I should mention that even when I manually enter an artist or title in Stereo Tool it also doesn't appear to send it to the Shoutcast server.

I vaguely have a feeling it might have something to do with Shoutcast v1, as that actually doesn't really support a separate artist & title, just a "current song", but I guess only a developer would be able to tell this for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:24 am 

This setup works for me with icecast. the metadata from the playout is a text file with this format: artist - title