All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:35 pm 

Hello,

The density drive on multiband compressors is adjustable up to 20 dB.
Is there a reason for that limitation? Is it possible to increase that limit to 30 dB?

I would very much like to test with more than 20 dB density drive.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:06 pm 

Quote:
Hello,

The density drive on multiband compressors is adjustable up to 20 dB.
Is there a reason for that limitation? Is it possible to increase that limit to 30 dB?

I would very much like to test with more than 20 dB density drive.

Thanks.
Those are anyway relative dB numbers. Rise Drive and you have more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:54 am 

So, now i have 20 dB density drive and normal drive is at 4,50 dB. I can assume that's 24,5 dB drive in total?
That can't be right, what's the whole purpose of that density slider than?

I always thought that Density drive let's the multiband compressor "think" it has more drive on the input by adjusting the attack and release times without actually increasing the input volume. Increasing the input is exactly what Multiband Drive is doing right? I don't want that...

Maybe someone can give a more detailed explanation about the density drive?

Maybe a workaround is giving all the bands an extra 10 dB density in the multiband settings? Is it that simple?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:17 am 

Density pushes harder into the compressor and compensates the output level for it. It takes settings like ratio into account to do this. The normal drive slider does not do this compensation. The difference in effect depends on how your multiband is set up. Drive increases the input level and may thereby also increase the output level (especially on low ratios). Density increases the input level (and thereby possibly the compressed-ness) and compensates the output level so that it is about as loud as without density.

Aggressiveness adjusts attack and release like you describe (I see the help text for density is wrong).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:24 pm 

Quote:
It takes settings like ratio into account to do this.
Are you sure about this? Why Ratio numbers does not change then, Like attack and release when you change global speeds.

What density do is just set thresh more or less and compesate at output (mix out).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:40 pm 

Thanks for clearing up how the density works. Can i make +30 dB Density on the whole multiband by setting the Global setting to +20 and every band Density to +10 dB? I will certainly test this tonight, but i'm curious if there's any restrictions when i do that.

Thanks Matthijs and Bojcha for replying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:51 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
It takes settings like ratio into account to do this.
Are you sure about this? Why Ratio numbers does not change then, Like attack and release when you change global speeds.

What density do is just set thresh more or less and compesate at output (mix out).
The ratio is not changed, but it is taken into account when calculating the output level compensation. When changing global speeds this is something different as you are really adjusting attack & release times. Drive does not change ratio, but includes it in the compensation for the output level.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:52 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for clearing up how the density works. Can i make +30 dB Density on the whole multiband by setting the Global setting to +20 and every band Density to +10 dB? I will certainly test this tonight, but i'm curious if there's any restrictions when i do that.

Thanks Matthijs and Bojcha for replying.
Why would you want to do that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:29 pm 

First of all, let me say i'm no expert at all and i make a setting on the fly. When it sounds right, i'm ok with it even when it's not following "the rules of soundprocessing", if something like that is even a thing...

I'm tweaking Stereotool for years now and although i'm very happy with the overall sound i seem to never really control the loud S en T sounds. They're really sticking out of the sound which personally i find really annoying.

So, i tried almost everything to control that sounds but than there's always "something else missing" and i still cannot really control the S sounds, even on high quality recordings. Tried other settings and other user settings but nothing really suits my wishes. More bands, less bands, only one multiband, two multiband, no clipper, no declipper, no natural dynamics, no AGC which i'm still not using by the way, but any combination of filters and settings results in the damn uncontrollable sss. Don't get me wrong, surely i'm not competent enough to get it right due to lack of knowledge.

Untill i tried very little multiband drive and a lot of density. BAM! what a sound! It's very loud, but still very clean and high detailed. And best of all, the loud S and T are finally under control. I can feed anything into Stereotool, CD's, vinyl records, Spotify music and even MP3's sounds amazingly good!

Offcourse it's dumb luck that this combination of setting works for me and i'm okay with that.
But, i wanted to know if i could push it even further, by increasing the density. I think that i can get an even more powerfull, in your face sound while still sounding relative "easy" and clean.

So that's it, i'd just like to try an get a competitive sound with Stereotool and compare it with FM stations. Just for hobby purpose and comparing with the expensive hardware boxes on the air.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:42 am 

Quote:
I will certainly test this tonight
Tested, way too much density :shock:
I'm gonna stick with the 20 dB maximum for now.