All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:21 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
HVZ, it might be time for a i9 9900K. 24 hours is way too long... for a release of ST
https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au ... 9900k.html

Not sure of the compiler options, but alternatively, hold off a few months and get a real server based on Intel's Xeon Cascade Lakes.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel ... 38017.html
I would rather go with 7980XE.. delided :)
Thats a XEON in sheeps clothing! (hopefully that translates ok..)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:22 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Maybe the Xeon with multiple cores would be better, running parallel compiling, either sessions or separate VMs. Just a simple increase of a single Most Significant Bit in any encrypto function may indeed double the time to compile, especially now with mitigation of the Spectre (speculative thread execution) that seriously knocks around ALU results from the CPU on the Intel's. and don't even dream about going to the cloud else it may take a week to compile!
Yeh, time for a new server beast Sir in the new year!
Ah. But that Spectre thing was fixed over a year ago right? And 2 months ago it was still ok. Windows is feeling kinda sluggish too sometimes so it might have some Windows update...

For a single compile having multiple threads does not help much at all (only the first few steps can be done with multiple thread simultaneously, the final step takes over an hour on only one core). So whatever I get needs to have very fast per-core performance. That's way more important than having more cores. Having more cores does help a lot during release builds where I can run multiple compiles simultaneously.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thats a XEON in sheeps clothing! (hopefully that translates ok..)
It translates literally to Dutch anyway :) (Assuming that the English expression also uses a wolf instead of a Xeon).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:45 am 
Site Admin

So, based on the specs on cpubenchmarks.net, a 9900K would reduce the time of a single build by about 20%. The 7980XE will take about the same time as my current CPU (with a large gain if I run multiple builds at once). For normal development (not release builds) the 9900K makes more sense. But 20%, that's nice but not spectacular or anything.

The difference of the 9900K comes nearly completely from the higher turbo clock speed, so it only helps if it can sustain 5 GHz for an hour or longer (I assume that it can? On the other hand, I think that my current CPU sticks to 4 GHz for some reason even though it should be able to go to 4.2). If the speed drops to the non-turbo speed, then my current 6700K is actually faster!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:48 am 

Quote:
[This would appear to indicate that TeamViewer 14 is interfering with the sound card input. Just for clarity, am I understanding correctly that you connect and the audio drops out, then you disconnect (audio is still gone) and reconnect and at that point the audio is back???
I log in, all is fine, ST running and processing normally. I disconnect, and as soon as the remote TV session exits the processing stops and the NAN error appears. I can log back in and 99% of the time as soon as I connect, the audio processing starts again fine and I can close off the error window. Disconnect again and audio is lost again until I log back in.
Quote:
O, and is this new in the 9.12 beta's, or is this behavior also there in older versions? I would expect so...
Seems to be the same in all the ST v9.12 betas and ST v9.11, however ST v9.10 I can disconnect and around 40-50% of the time all is fine.
I am not asking TV to send me remote audio for the session so I might look deeper and see if I can either turn off some further options or roll back to TV13 and see if this issue persists.

Ross

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:17 pm 

Quote:
So, based on the specs on cpubenchmarks.net, a 9900K would reduce the time of a single build by about 20%. The 7980XE will take about the same time as my current CPU (with a large gain if I run multiple builds at once). For normal development (not release builds) the 9900K makes more sense. But 20%, that's nice but not spectacular or anything.

The difference of the 9900K comes nearly completely from the higher turbo clock speed, so it only helps if it can sustain 5 GHz for an hour or longer (I assume that it can? On the other hand, I think that my current CPU sticks to 4 GHz for some reason even though it should be able to go to 4.2). If the speed drops to the non-turbo speed, then my current 6700K is actually faster!
Ah so compiler does not use multicore. Then you need CPU with highest clock possible. Even 9900/K will l not give 5GHz over all cores at turbo. You would need to set that manualy. Also very good board and cooling needed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
[This would appear to indicate that TeamViewer 14 is interfering with the sound card input. Just for clarity, am I understanding correctly that you connect and the audio drops out, then you disconnect (audio is still gone) and reconnect and at that point the audio is back???
I log in, all is fine, ST running and processing normally. I disconnect, and as soon as the remote TV session exits the processing stops and the NAN error appears. I can log back in and 99% of the time as soon as I connect, the audio processing starts again fine and I can close off the error window. Disconnect again and audio is lost again until I log back in.
Quote:
O, and is this new in the 9.12 beta's, or is this behavior also there in older versions? I would expect so...
Seems to be the same in all the ST v9.12 betas and ST v9.11, however ST v9.10 I can disconnect and around 40-50% of the time all is fine.
I am not asking TV to send me remote audio for the session so I might look deeper and see if I can either turn off some further options or roll back to TV13 and see if this issue persists.

Ross
Whatever it is can probably be mitigated in Stereo Tool... but I need to be able to reproduce it first, otherwise it's getting really difficult. I'll try this soon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:00 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Ah so compiler does not use multicore. Then you need CPU with highest clock possible. Even 9900/K will l not give 5GHz over all cores at turbo. You would need to set that manualy. Also very good board and cooling needed.
OK then a i9900K overclocked to 5Ghz with very good water cooling and a huge air cooking across the motherboard, all with a case input of just 21 degrees C or lower, is your only option for now..
Just check your existing machine with https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html its sounds to me your existing machine has a few problems that need resolving now. Most CPU's slow clocking down when the cores reach 70 degrees C.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

I ran a new build for the Basstardizer fix using 8 cores (with Hyperthreading) and surprisingly the build time went down quite a bit. There are still a few points in the build process that take way longer than they should, if I fix those I think I can get it back under 12 hours again :) but I'll do that next year (before I do another release).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:37 am 

To hear the latest ST Beta running with the latest Great Southern Dreams profile, tune into 2DRY FM. Keep in mind that there is DA/AD quantisation distortion in the chain before the processor and a pile of music is still MP3.
https://www.2dryfm.com

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next