All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:43 pm 

Hey guys, I wish to try out Stereo Tool [ST] with my music playback softwares, I installed the ASIO4all driver, when I start up ST I am getting 2 error prompts "Cannot open input: Bad device ID. Please select a valid sound card". First thing I need to know is can I use ST with a pc's onboard soundcard? If not then is there a virtual soundcard I can use to try this out or would I need an external sound card for sure please?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

You need to enable ASIO in Stereo Tool to make it use ASIO, that will probably fix the problem. See Sound cards -> ASIO, enable it and select ASIO4ALL, then make sure to select the proper input and output channels.

The open error might be because some Windows versions combined with some sound card drivers no longer support using the same sound card for input and output simultaneously. ASIO fixes that too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:11 am 

Yes, no error messages [thanks]. You had told me in the other thread:
Quote:
Neither of the programs that you listed seem to have support for plug-ins (I checked by searching for the word 'plug' in the features page, so I might have missed it).

That means that you'll have to use a program that sends the audio to Stereo Tool instead of to the sound card. But that will cause latency.
Since my purpose is only for music playback and no mic involved I am guessing no latency issues involved here but can you recommend any "program" I can try out to use with any of my playback softwares and ST?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:35 am 

I downloaded Virtual Cables, I will try to see if any of my playback devices allows you to choose the playback device, if yes then I guess I will need to route the player into Virtual Cables then output that into ST, that should work, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:02 am 

Yes it will work.
Better idea to set main blayback device in windows as Virtual Cable. Then in ST set same cable as input. As output your soundcard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:08 pm 

Seems I am missing some key concepts and steps here guys so please bear with with me, I selected the VAC as Input Device ID for the Normal Output where I have selected the pc's native Headphones [High definition Audio] output. I'd appreciate if anyone can answer these questions for me please?

1] How do you post a screenshot here as I am not seeing an option to upload from file or pc so for now I can only link to the 3 screenshots:

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr29 ... 8726ab.jpg
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr29 ... 832964.jpg
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr29 ... ff82a7.jpg

2] So far with my config mentioned above, is it wrong? If yes, what should I be doing?

2] I am testing with Virtual DJ pro and have selected VAC LINE 1 as the output, is this the correct option?