All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Re: Supersonic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:19 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Michi at one point though the highs were too strong, but I think that's under control now.
Indeed it is now much better than before. :D
Quote:
I'm not done with what I'm wanting to do
What comes next ? :)
I may add a little more zip to the percussion again though. What I was testing was better control of deep bass. It had bothered me for some time that I just wasn't getting the sustained bass in hip-hop / RnB that I felt should be there, so that's the current focus. After that, I need to make sure that the rest of the percussion is still ok.

Beyond that, I think I'm done until Hans does more work on the AGC and Multiband.

That is, unless Bojcha posts something and I like the sound and want to incorporate it...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:35 am 

I have the impression that there is something wrong with your marketing ploy for your presets:
Supersonic_Mach3.rar :arrow: 24 downloads ! - ok !
sstest16.rar :arrow: 11 downloads ! - only 11 !

I guess if you would have named it Hypersonic Beta001 (or Supersonic Mach4, ..... whatever ....) more people would try ( :arrow: download) it !?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:12 pm 

Quote:
I have the impression that there is something wrong with your marketing ploy for your presets:
Supersonic_Mach3.rar :arrow: 24 downloads ! - ok !
sstest16.rar :arrow: 11 downloads ! - only 11 !

I guess if you would have named it Hypersonic Beta001 (or Supersonic Mach4, ..... whatever ....) more people would try ( :arrow: download) it !?
I wasn't sure if I was going to go with what I had done or not.

Also, over the past week, I've lost my Dad. He went in his sleep. I haven't had any opportunity to work with this... I'm hoping today will be a quiet day, but I'm planning on going back to bed, as I have not slept much this past week.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:27 am 

Per Michi's suggestion:

Mach4

Again, I haven't had a tremendous amount of time to work on this more. Well, I have had the time, but I just haven't felt like it.

Numerous changes. The primary changes are the same as the previous test file I posted, with high attack / decay values for the first two bands in multiband. I also made some attack/decay changes elsewhere, and some stuff in loudness.

Next effort, whenever I feel like trying (which could be a while) will be to experiment to see if I can get similar sound without loudness, or with only just barely enabling it.

Attachments:
Supersonic_Mach4.rar [3 KiB]
Downloaded 349 times

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:08 pm 

Mach 4.1

Still Loudness-based

Changes to AGC
Elimination of Bass AGC for the moment
Slight changes to multiband to give a very slight increase in low-bass and some more clipping on the highs
Change to dirty bass in Loudness and further limiting of highs (deesser).

Attachments:
Supersonic_Mach4.1.rar [2.98 KiB]
Downloaded 339 times

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:30 pm 

Mach 4.2

Curses to the 1 download of 4.1. I would've just replaced it... 8-)

Changed to the AGC settings of the Generic Preset version of Bojcha's Addiction (v.11) except with -9 target and peaks of 120% instead of 105%, 38% for Band 3, and still an upspeed of 1 due to the AGC changes made by Hans after Addiction was posted.

Reasoning:

Maybe I'm headed the wrong direction, but I'm thinking the AGC should maintain the bands relatively even, then you can further refine with Multiband. Previously I was getting a fair amount of drift between bands. It was particularly noticable at low volume levels, specifically with a track I posted for michi95 to listen to (Clubbed To Death...towards the end)

I don't anticipate further changes unless there's something really wrong. Complaints about too loud highs might be because you are younger than me and still have better hearing. I'm just barely able to hear test tones in the 15k-16k area, and they have to be at a pretty high decibel level too... I can though detect differences if an EQ is boosted in that range due to how it impacts the frequencies below the EQ frequency. For being 40, that's probably better than average, but just something to keep in mind, that my hearing may be different...

Attachments:
Supersonic_Mach4.2.rar [2.98 KiB]
Downloaded 337 times

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:53 am 

4.3 beta 1

Pretty large overhaul in multiband. EQ settings across the board caused volume saturation, squashing out some mids.
Changes in Noise Gate (previous settings were removing some detail from certain songs)
Change to Stereo Boost as I noticed warbling left channel noise in Paint It Black at the very beginning. Could've caused other issues down the processing chain for all other tracks as well.
Added Final Limiter volume increase (1.10)
More Dirty Bass
More Deep Bass Boost
Increased Deep Bass Boost Distortion protection
* There's still an annoying distortion in the "heartbeat" / "tick tock" portion right after the clocks go off in Pink Floyd - Time, but I think that's part of the recording. All presets distort it to varying degrees.

With all the changes, the mids should be more consistent with originals and not over-prounounced. I'm not done, but I wanted to post this as a beta.

Edit: One other thing I did to address "spectral balance" complaint was also made the exact same settings for everything, and used the exact same frequency bands in multiband as Bojcha used in B-Town. I have been going for something SIMILAR, but not exact, that's why I've been using center frequencies that are a little further away from the ISO frequencies given for many standard equalizers for the midrange, allowing people to refine using their own audio driver EQ or an external EQ with the ISO standard bands.

Attachments:
ssm43bojchamb.rar [3.53 KiB]
Downloaded 335 times
ssm43beta1.rar [3.52 KiB]
Downloaded 320 times

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:15 am 

Brian, i sent you one track on PM.. to see how mids (voice) in you versionS works.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:48 am 

Quote:
Brian, i sent you one track on PM.. to see how mids (voice) in you versionS works.
At first, I was like... Polka! ...but then I was like, no, has Arabic tones... She reminds me of Taylor Dayne...if Taylor was Serbian... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:13 pm 

Is really sounding too similar to other presets now, but it won't have "balance" issues except for a bit lower bass and a bit higher highs, which is my intent... I'm needing to look now for something to make this unique, rather than sounding like others... :cry:

I also ditched the phase rotator. No idea what it's doing to the audio because I don't have these fancy-schmancy scopes and whatnot, and my ears aren't noticing much of, if any difference.

Attachments:
Supersonic_Mach4.3.rar [3.54 KiB]
Downloaded 384 times