All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Proposed use... :)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:44 pm 

Hi y'all. I am new here, so forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong area. I actually have a question before I download Stereo Tool.

I am going to school for Medical Transcription. I need to be able to hear everything that a doctor says in his dictation as clearly as possible. Will Stereo Tool help with that?

If this helps, I have a SoundMax soundcard (in the "About" window it says soundMax Cadenza - I know, old :))

Thank you!

Jules

Post subject: Re: Proposed use... :)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

It may help in two respects:
1. Very soft sounds are increased in volume, which might make certain things better understandable
2. The noise filter will probably also improve things... But don't expect too much from it if the noise level is high compared to the audio level.

However, most of the processing will also greatly increase the noise level, so I'm not sure if it will be pleasant to listen to the result. So I would suggest that you do some tests before making the actual recording to make sure that you wil be able to understand it afterwards.

The following filters may be useful:
- NOISE GATE filter to reduce the noise/hiss level
- Pre limiter to get a bit of gain control
- Final limiter with "do not preserve loudness" turned on. Or you could try the singleband compressor. Both can be found in the "Limiting & Loudness" panel.

The multiband compressor might also be useful, but don't use too much of it or you'll just increase the noise level way too much.

Of course you can also just try a number of presets to see if any of them improves the sound. (The ones under "GENERIC PRESETS" are probably most useful for this). I think you'll need to set the noise gate a bit more agressive.

Just in case: If you're using a recorder that records in stereo, you might want to try out my other plugin Tape Restore Live which (among others) contains a filter that removes noise by comparing the two channels... See http://www.hansvanzutphen.com/tape_restore_live/ .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:02 am 

This sounds great! (No pun intended. :)) Just getting out some of the hissing or poor sound quality that sometimes can occur would be great. Of course you have babies crying in the background, and other noises, but if the doctor's voice could be made more clear (thinking since their voice is on a different "level" kind of that this may help?), that would be super (some of them mumble somewhat - or talk a mile a minute).

The only thing is, these are pre-recorded dictations, not something that I am dictating/recording myself (I just listen and transcribe them). Does that make a difference?

Thanks so much for your help!

Jules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:16 am 
Site Admin

In that case, I would just try it out and see if it works. You don't need a paid version for this type of use, so just go ahead...

(By the way, I'm curious about the results, so please post back here when you know if it works...)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:30 am 

Quote:
In that case, I would just try it out and see if it works. You don't need a paid version for this type of use, so just go ahead...

(By the way, I'm curious about the results, so please post back here when you know if it works...)
8-) Will do!!

Thanks a bunch,

Jules