All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:58 am 

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, so please bear with me.

I'm currently trying to set up Stereo Tool as my main realtime playback device, so that everything that plays through my speakers goes through Stereo Tool then comes back out but I'm not quite how I would go about that. I would just use this with Winamp, but I go on YouTube more than I listen to music on winamp so yeah...

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks everyone! :D

P.S. Thank you very much to the developers that spend so much time perfecting this plugin. I really appreciate all of your work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

This is fortunately not difficult, but you need another program to connect things.

Options are VB Cable (free) or Virtual Audio Cable (about $20).

Install one of these two programs and in the list of sound cards you'll see an extra sound card listed, something like 'Virtual Cable 1' or 'VB Cable 1' or something.

In Stereo Tool (stand alone version), select that card as input.
In other applications, select that card as output. (You could also make it the default card in the Windows settings).

That's it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:15 pm 

Thanks for the reply, hvz.

I tried doing what you said and setting the default input in Stereo Tool to Line 1, and then setting it as default in the windows settings, but I'm hearing nothing now. And If I go into audacity and just record the sound card itself, then all I hear is the same thing repeating.

It's really strange and I have no idea what's happening.

Kind regards,
Face.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:29 pm 

Where are you outputting to? Select the same output in Stereo Tool as you chose as Windows' default before you set it to Line 1(/2/3).

If this is already your case, is there any activity in Stereo Tool's meters?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:00 pm 

Hi Modulator,

There's a link below to an imgur album with the all the stuff that's enabled. I must have done something wrong because I haven't edited the VAC settings at all.

Regards,
Face

http://imgur.com/a/zRAeu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:55 pm 

Strange indeed.. audio is flowing correctly to the soundcard since Windows' meters show signal. Are you sure you have connected your speakers/headphones/listening device to right port? Did you say that you hear audio correctly when you choose hardware output as your OS's default output?

Last edited by Modulator on Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know if it's the cause but it might very well be: You need to increase the output sound card buffer size in Stereo Tool!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:26 pm 

Hi again, :)

When I set "Line 1" as the default device in the playback devices column, then I can't hear anything, but the meters in the "Sound" window are still moving. But if I set it to my main playback device I can hear the original sound, just not the processed one despite the fact that I've got my main Realtek soundcard (Speakers) set as my output in Stereo Tool. I also tried moving the buffer size up but that didn't do anything unfortunately.

If you guys don't mind, I'm more than happy for one of you to remote access my pc to check the settings if that's what it takes.

And apologies if I'm being quite demanding, I just dislike having to turn my volume up and down when watching movies (especially when music starts playing >.<)

Thanks for your help all. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:23 pm 

I have the same request, I like to tun Stereotool at my media center, so winamp, youtube, power dvd etc all must go true Stereotool, not only winamp.

I found software called Viper. Although it's audio features are way less advanced then stereotool, the way it is setup as APO seem ideal. Would like to see stereotool implemeting that.

Quote from website: http://vipersaudio.com/blog/?page_id=85
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ViPER4Windows is an “APO”. APO stands for “Audio Processing Object”. APO is designed by Microsoft. It is an audio processing framework that can be loaded onto any sound card.

Comparison between APO and SRS Virtual Sound Card:
APO - SRS Virtual Sound Card
Supported system Vista or above - All
Global effect Yes - Yes
Stability Very stable - Easy to get BSOD
Compatible with other effects All - Only specific effects
System compatibility Very good - Poor

----------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:08 am 

Well, I managed to get it all working by restarting and deleting the program and downloading the beta one. All is working perfectly now!

Thank you all for your help.