All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Using ST for movies
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:36 pm 

Since Hans added multi-channel support to ST, it is now a usable solution for watching movies.
I know the surround sound support is still being worked on so I expected a heap of problems.

To my surprise it works perfectly out of the box.

Steps needed:
-Install ffdshow and set it as preferred codec for everything it supports. Easiest way to do this is to use the k-lite codec pack, it has an option for this in the setup.
-Install Winamp and the DSP version of ST.
-Open ffdshow audio config and enable the "Winamp 2" plugin. Then select ST in the list of DSP plugins. Also enable "allow multichannel audio". Disable the volume plugin in ffdshow since ST will do all normalisation.

And that is all that is needed. Whatever media player you prefer, if it uses the standard system codecs it will use ffdshow and run its sound through ST. (I use MPC-HC)
Even the audio-delay from ST is corrected by ffdshow so no problems with lip-sync.
On the video side, optionally you can install SVP to do frame interpolation via ffdshow. (aswell as a bunch of other fancy filters)

My AV receiver has now been reduced to a glorified DAC. Thank you Hans. :)

Post subject: Re: Using ST for movies
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:12 pm 

For those of you who want to simplify things and watch movies on your computer, you can use Stereo Tool Winamp DSP version as a processor in Daum Potplayer, which is great for playing Blu Rays. Simply install Stereo Tool in the usual Winamp configuration and set it up. Then go to Options in Potplayer and under the audio section there is a choice to use a Winamp DSP processor, select Stereo Tool and youre done.

I watch Blurays that have been converted to MKVs using MakeMKV, but often find the dynamics too open. Potplayer does have some native audio compressors onboard, but Stereo Tool is way better than any of those. I believe there may also be a way of using DSPs in VLC player as well, but I dont use VLC so cant be sure.