All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:57 pm 

Good Morning!

Is The BIMP worth the purchase price? $251.83 USD (as of today) seems a bit steep for a non-professional hobby user... Is there a hidden price somewhere for someone like me who's just getting research-based information out there (I mostly focus on relationships but also tackle other stuff)?

I own the Declipper, Delossifer, and Advanced Dynamics. My current process flow is as follows:

Editor: iZotope RX Advanced 10

Record (obviously)
iZotope Phase (suggest value, centers the waveform to center for better overhead)
iZotope DeHum
iZotope Spectral Denoise, 2 passes
iZotope DeReverb
iZotope DePlosive
Normalize to -0.5dB
StereoTool, Current using Chocolate Moose setting (open to any other settings that would be more appropriate)
iZotope Dialogue Isolate (to reduce any background noise by 12dB)
iZotope EQ Match (to Brown Noise, I highly recommend anyone try this as it usually gives that radio voice timbre)
iZotope Phase (suggest value, centers the waveform to center for better overhead)
Normalize to -0.5dB and save to FLAC format

DAW: Reaper

Import audio to preset template, replace images as needed, etc. Export to MP4 video container at q19 and FLAC audio; upload to YouTube and BuzzSprout from there to host to every other platform.

Here's an example of the audio: https://youtu.be/eCVMQSe9XMk?si=qm68_JLrq5qx5HF4

So I'm looking at The BIMP, and aside from if I were to do live processing, it seems like all functions are available elsewhere within Stereo Tool for offline use. So it there any reason to look at the The BIMP for any other reason that isn't being handled above?

Thanks so much for your time and for making such an amazing tool!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:47 pm 

I think the BIMP might not be worth it for podcast processing, personally. It's main use is for having different processing for a broadcaster's voice coming in over the music, for example. So unless you're talking over things live, I don't know.

However, PhoneBooster seems like it would be pretty useful for podcasting (also more expensive). Sadly there's no plugin for it (yet?) but you can run your low sample rate speech through it manually in realtime during the record, or you can play your audio through it afterward in what I call "slow-post".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:57 pm 

Quote:
I think the BIMP might not be worth it for podcast processing, personally. It's main use is for having different processing for a broadcaster's voice coming in over the music, for example. So unless you're talking over things live, I don't know.

However, PhoneBooster seems like it would be pretty useful for podcasting (also more expensive). Sadly there's no plugin for it (yet?) but you can run your low sample rate speech through it manually in realtime during the record, or you can play your audio through it afterward in what I call "slow-post".
The phone booster looks interesting - I'll have to see how it compares to iZotope's spectrum restoration tool in RX Advanced. iZotope's tool definitely takes some time to process though, so not real-time. I'll share the same clips processed through that for comparison.