All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:22 pm 

I think I should be able to use stereotool in the MPX settings to send to a pc running MicroMpx on the same LAN.
I am trying to configue micro mpx between two pc's on the same LAN.
I think it should have the same ip setup as VBReceptor concrning the ip address handshake I put in the address of the recipient on the sending pc and reverse the process on the receiver.
The sending pc shows a graphic of the output, but I get nothing on the receving pc.
The sending pc has a wifi connection and I choose that togeter with the same port specified on the receiver which is wired to the router.
I have not setup any security.
I don't use VPN's.
They are connected to the same router.
They will talk to each other using VBReceptor (using Voicemeeter).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:58 pm 

I shoud say that I am using stereo tool 9.92 amd Micrompx version 4.1.5 that I just downloaded and installed.
I use port 8854.
I tried different pc's with different sound cards and got the samw lack of success.
Then I tried Omniasst and the encoder/decoder software. It worked. Ii used the same ports as ST. The one difference I can see is that the decoder for Omniasst doesn't ask for an ip address. It just seems to find it and work.
The ST encoder didn't wok with the Omnia decoder either.
The only working config for me was from Omniasst encoder to Omnia MPX decoder.
From what I've read, I was expecting either the Omnia decoder or the micrompx decoder to connect to and read the ST encoded stream. Neither one will.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:44 pm 

I tried 127.0.0.1 as suggested in the OmniaSST manual and it worked for omnia but not for ST.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:08 pm 

I didn't think the MicroMPX decoder had an IP address. From memory I thought it just received the stream from the Encoder which is pointed to it's IP.

C.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:12 pm 

Clipper, Thanks for the response. I think that is the way Omnia does it, but Stereotool asks for a multicast address and port in the decoder setup using version 4.1.5.

I can't beleive ST micrompx doesn't work. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I did find out that I was getting a ton of transmission errors using Omnia pc to pc that was due to using Voicemeeter with 'VBAN" turned on. I turned that off and the errors in omnia quit, but it didn't help stereotool. I use Voicemeeter Banana for audio distribution.

Due to the inconsistencies in Win10 drivers with system updates I have had to start using Breakaway lines instead of Vaio. Aux Vaio doesn't seem to be effected as much by the updates. Breakaway lines are configured to use 192k and all win 10 sound input and output are configured to 192k.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:17 pm 

If you're not using multicast you should not enter an IP there. This is certainly not "the IP address of the encoder". You put the IP of the decoder machine in the encoder, no additional config is needed in the decoder. Make sure your router allows traffic through the port you're using though (default 8854).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:12 pm 

YEEHAAAAAAA!!!

I got it.

The Stereotool version 9.92 that I am using was set to version 4 on the micompx encoder page. When I changed it to version 1 it worked on both the stereotool decoder and the omniasst decoder.

I read in the manual that the decoders were supposed to be backwards compatible so I tried the earlier version on the encoders and everything works great.

I don't know why the latest downloads with the latest version of MPX don't work for me, but I'm happy with what Iive got.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:19 pm 

Oh, and I found out that the sterotool decoder doesn't need and ip address as AudioGuy said.
Mathijsco and Clipper were right there. I was mis-lead by the ability to enter an ip address. I thought it was just like "VBAN" where the send/receive needed specificity.
Thanks for the help folks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, the SST decoder is pretty old, that really needs to be updated. It definitely doesn't support version 4! (I would have expected a clear error message about receiving packets of the wrong version though).

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:44 pm 

5-1-23
I have deleted OmniaSST on all pc's and only use Stereotool products on both ends in all pc's. It is also running 'version 4' on the encoder of stereotool version 9.92.
5-2-23
I got micrompx running using my phone as a hotspot connection at a 'laptop' pc and 'my chair' pc connected to the router hardwired.
To do it I had to install a software called 'tailscale' on both pc's.
setup was easy using my microsoft login and password on both pc's.
This builds what I think is a VPN so, it builds a virtual ip address that the host can be reached at from any of the client pc's. I've never done any VPN stuff so I think that what this is. According to what I read it's free for up to 20 nodes.
I used stereotool 9.92 to encode the stream and microMPX decoder from stereotool to decode it