All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: RDS causes MONO
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I'm guessing that you're using the stereo generator inside the transmitter? And not the one in Stereo Tool? And you're feeding the transmitter with left/right audio?

If so, the fact that that used to work was more an "accident" than anything else, apparently the inputs are not being filtered at all, so the RDS signal (which was added to both channels) ends up being a part of the L+R signal, and it just happens to get transmitted. And the receiver apparently doesn't care about synchronizing the RDS signal to the pilot - this may work on some receivers but not on others.

The fact that what you did worked was actually caused by a bug in Stereo Tool. In more recent versions, when RDS is turned on we're generating an MPX signal, and that means that it's no longer stereo. What you could try is to enable the stereo encoder in Stereo Tool - but that will only work if you can disable the stereo encoder in the transmitter.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:22 am 

Quote:
What you could try is to enable the stereo encoder in Stereo Tool - but that will only work if you can disable the stereo encoder in the transmitter.
May I also add, if the stereo coder is on a separate board to the main TX (as many are), it's not enough to bypass the stereo coder, but to also disconnect any power feeding the stereo coder as well. I had major sound defects after bypassing the stereo coder (running MPX), but all went away after I disabled the stereo coder power as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 4:05 pm 

Make yourself and your (altough few) listeners happy and get yourself a proper transmitter. You will certainly notice the result from the ST MPX to be much better than that of your cheap transmitter's inbuilt coder.
Hint: check baldrick_nz's signature for a source of a small transmitter.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:02 pm 

you can also upgrade the licence to FM standard
https://www.thimeo.com/stereo-tool/buy/