All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: uMPX GPS Setup
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Using the commands you provided wasn't really successful - I got it working once at 4800 baud but it didn't seem quite right.
However, when using PuTTY instead, I could get NMEA data fine at 4800 via the COM port. Why might there be a difference?
I could try the pulldown menu if you think its worth adding?
I don't know. What did the output look like, and how did you configure Putty? "Not quite right" is a bit strange, as far as I know it either works or you only see complete nonsense with lots of weird characters.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:04 pm 

Quote:
I don't know. What did the output look like, and how did you configure Putty? "Not quite right" is a bit strange, as far as I know it either works or you only see complete nonsense with lots of weird characters.
I've been trying to figure it out. This is what I've found so far:

1. In PuTTY, setting the correct device rate (4800 baud), gives NMEA data. Setting 9600 baud gives strange characters. This seems right, given what you said.
2.For some reason the command-prompt commands don't seem to work. (Have even run as admin.) While the mode command seems to reflect changed port settings, no data showed i.e.:
mode COM3 baud=4800 parity=N data=8 {result = gives output of settings}
type COM3 {result = nothing)
3. I used Powershell and could read NMEA data from the COM port at 4800 baud. (Setting at 9600 didn't work - didn't even show strange characters)

I'm going to send you some screenshots of the non-working command line attempt/s as well as the working PuTTY settings.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

I have put a setting in, so it will be there in the next build. Just doing some tests to verify that everything still works, we've had another big 'under the hood' redesign of the parameter code.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:44 pm 

Quote:
Finally....I've got GPS sync working on the bench using receivers purchased from eBay...

The receiver has RS232, 1PPS and 10MHz outputs. On the encoder side, RS232 is connected to the serial port on the ST computer. On the decoder computers, RS232 is connected to the serial port and the 1PPS output is connected to the left audio input of the ASI5810 sound card. 10Mhz is not used. Everything locks up and looks right. Been running several hours and seems like it's going to hold up.

Only problem I'm having is that the ASI5810 ASIO driver does not show up as a device on uMPX. Had to use ASIO4ALL (not sure how this will affect timing between transmitters).

Will update again when we get everything installed at our towers, and get the additional GPS licenses purchased for the encoder and decoders.

Thanks Hans and everyone for the info!!!
Hi
Any updates on your setup? I'm looking to try the same one and I'm interested if you have any feedback for your hardware
Markos