All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Micro MPX hardware spec?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:42 pm 

I've searched, but cannot find any info. Is there a mnimum and/or recommended hardware spec for hardware for uMPX decoder? I'm thinking standard Windows box - I'm not clever enough to handle RPi and the complications of Linux or similar!

i3 or less?
RAM?
Processor cloc? speed?

Wondering if I can use a cheap fanless industrial PC, or maybe something like this?
https://spartanoutlet.com/products/inte ... rrency=GBP

Essentially - "how low can I go" for a windows-capable hardware to run uMPX, and ancilliaries like Anydesk?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:45 pm 

Or this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Msecore-Window ... 41&sr=8-15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

You need almost nothing - on most modern pc's MicroMPX will use less than 1% of the CPU. So, anything from the last 20 years or so should work. An i3 or i5 is complete overkill.

That 2nd pc should be fast enough. I've looked up other (comparable) systems on which I know it runs fine, they are a bit faster but we have reduced the CPU load quite a bit recently as well, and those tests were from before we did that.

Note that for a Pi we have an image available - that should work without much Linux knowledge (until you run into some unforeseen problem, of course..)

One thing though: If you want to control MicroMPX on the pc that it runs on (run a browser on that same system), then you do need quite a bit more power in it. If you open the browser on another pc, you don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:47 am 

Thanks Hans. I prefer the flexibility of Windows - don't fancy trying to remember Linux commands in the heat of the moment in a 3am outage!

I might try a fanless PC. We're running both TX's on 10 year old HP i5 laptops at the moment. Nice low loads, but still nagging sound card speed alarms which still occur when I swap from the USB to internal motehrboard soundcard. Therefore by process of elimination I'm thinking it's either internet, or the PC hardware itself causing that.

Unless I'm imagining it, selecting "Synchronise input to output sound cards" to "On" has helped a lot, and increasing "relative adjust" to 1.5%. Not sure how far is wise to push that setting though?

Between studio, and both TX's there are three different ISP's involved, so it's only reasonable to expect and adjust for some jitter?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thanks Hans. I prefer the flexibility of Windows - don't fancy trying to remember Linux commands in the heat of the moment in a 3am outage!

I might try a fanless PC. We're running both TX's on 10 year old HP i5 laptops at the moment. Nice low loads, but still nagging sound card speed alarms which still occur when I swap from the USB to internal motehrboard soundcard. Therefore by process of elimination I'm thinking it's either internet, or the PC hardware itself causing that.

Unless I'm imagining it, selecting "Synchronise input to output sound cards" to "On" has helped a lot, and increasing "relative adjust" to 1.5%. Not sure how far is wise to push that setting though?

Between studio, and both TX's there are three different ISP's involved, so it's only reasonable to expect and adjust for some jitter?
Please check on which end (and about which end!) those sound card speed warnings are. If "Synchronize" helps, it's most likely the input of Stereo Tool that's wrong. Good sound cards typically have an offset of at most a few Hz ar 192000 Hz. This warning only pops up if it's more than 200!! Hz off, which is really a lot. (Are you using Virtual Audio Cable? If so, try downloading the latest version if you don't already have that one).