All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:27 pm 

Hello everyone, I'm happy to join the forum.

I'm here because I'm using Stereo Tool for the first time in a school project and I'd like to get some help from people who know how to use the tool better than me.

Basically, I have to connect a mixer (that will take my microphone and a USB stick with music on it) to a computer that has ST and then send the stereo MPX signal to an FM transmitter. I think I know how to connect everything together (physically), but I'd like to know how to do all of this the right way. Here's what I've done so far:

- I got the version 7.60 of Stereo Tool because I think it's the more user friendly. I installed it on the computer and made sure I installed Asio4all as well so I could use Asio.

- The sound card of the computer has a sample rate of 192kHz and I set everything in stereo tool related to the sample rate to 192kHz as well.

- I installed VBcable on the computer because of some posts i've read here, but I'm not sure what it does, if it was necessary or if I should use it.

My plan is to send what's coming out of my mixer to the computer, get that into Stereo Tool and send the MPX signal from Stereo Tool to my FM transmitter. I have all the necessary cables, but I'm not sure how to setup the program and the sound cards.

I really need your help, because there are many unknowns for me and I have to make this setup work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:15 pm 

Hi Eturo,

Sounds like you are doing everything right. I've never understood or managed to get ASIO working.

I don't think you'll need VB Cables- you use that to create a virtual cable to route to some other software - for example to route output of ST to input of a webstream software.

On ST select your soundcard input as its input. Make sure you are not overloading the input of the sound card. Play safe and give it plenty of headroom (ie run it too quiet)

In the AGC section adjust the gain so that on "average" audio the AGC is in the middle of its range.

Set FM output to be the soundcard output and connect that to MPX input of transmitter. Make sure any internal limiter/compressor and pre-emphasis circuitry in the tranmitter is bypassed.

You will need to set deviation of tranmitter correctly. If you don't have a deviation meter, then next best is to set ST to a loud preset and adjust mod level to sound similar level to a professional local station (or better, shows same audio level on a meter). Set Pilot at about say 7 or 8% and RDS at say 2.5%.