All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:42 pm 

Unfortunately there was no time to do that... so I'll have to try some other time soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:06 pm 

For some reason I had no success with calibrating ST using those square waves, etc. I could make it worse, but not better. Certainly not good enough to play "Black and White" without overshoot. And having two RC functions is a bit scary, as there is no easy way to get back to your original settings. After getting myself into the weeds trying to set those two things properly, I gave up and turned the correction off. I'll just live with the overshoots, although I would think the composite clipper would catch them.

I did notice a difference in modulation control (better) with Stokkemask on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

This might be a good moment to ask which analyzer you are using.... Some are pretty bad (as in: they report overshoots that aren't there).

For the 2 rc's: so far my experience is that I always have to set both at the same setting. I don't understand why. But: adjust one as good as you can, and then set the 2nd to the same value - that always seems to improve things.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:12 pm 

I'm using one of several Inovonics 531 Modulation Analyzers that I have. There is one in a central building we refer to as the doghouse. This one is connected to an omnidirectional antenna and can monitor all five of our FM's. There are also 531's at three of the sites, one being the FM in question.

I had issues with the monitor at the ST station's site, so that one has been sent to Inovonics for repair and calibration. I expect it back probably late this week. One issue was disagreement by 10% or more as to modulation, with the higher reading being on the doghouse monitor. Possibly that can be attributed to multipath, although none was indicated on the Inovonics.

As I swapped out the processing settings during the day, I had to put the station on the 8300 backup while I tweaked the new settings into a 1kw transmitter in the doghouse. I run that one at a couple of watts so I can hear it in my car or office. The calibration has to be done using that transmitter's exciter as I can't do it on the main transmitter unless I'm here at 3AM or so.

When I get the calibrated monitor back, maybe I can get better results. It is certainly worth a try. I did try before using both tones and the infamous "Black and White".