All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:24 am 

H.Y.Phil, since you have now added an STL inside your composite audio chain -- versus your previous direct-to-exciter test setup -- you might want to investigate that STL as the source of any overshoots or "bounces".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:43 pm 

I certainly haven't ruled out the STL, but can tweak this into the STL transmitter as I have another audio chain (IP and 8300) I can use.

Thanks for the useful links!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:48 pm 

I tweaked the sound card into the STL and saw no difference. Flat down to 4-5 Hz. Any tweaking made it worse. Aside from likely STL 'bounce", I'm going to leave the tilt (which I don't see at all) as is.

Maybe I'm just lucky or have the right combination of hardware!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:25 pm 

Quote:
I tweaked the sound card into the STL and saw no difference. Flat down to 4-5 Hz. Any tweaking made it worse. Aside from likely STL 'bounce", I'm going to leave the tilt (which I don't see at all) as is.

Maybe I'm just lucky or have the right combination of hardware!
I'd still consider the Marian sound card. Not saying there isn't another issue at work but at least with BBP, it took an overshoot disaster and turned it into a solid, tight performer (worth noting that even with a Marian card, Stereo Tool's tightness/lack of overshoot clearly beats BBP, although when we're down to 2-3% vs 0%, it's splitting hairs) . At this point, I wish that either you had a Marian or I had an M-Audio to try. There are unanswered questions at play here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:48 am 

Marian is their own worst enemy with availability. I would've purchased one but was unable to locate one actually in stock. So, based on my M-Audio experience, I'm happy with it.

I'd gladly try a Marian vs. M-Audio "shootout".

Last edited by HadYourPhil on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:50 am 

Quote:
Marian is their own worst enemy with availability. I would've purchased one but was unable to locate one actually in stock. So, based om my M-Audio experience, I'm happy with it.

I'd gladly try a Marian vs. M-Audio "shootout".
I bought two of them direct from the factory in Europe (shipping on 2 is hardly any more than on 1, which made them more reasonable). The US distributor had some in stock about 6 weeks ago and I was able to get another one. But I certainly agree, these things are not easy to secure. But they are the only DC coupled sound cards made to my knowledge. If you can somehow get one, there's no downside to using it...it's the gold standard in composite sound cards.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:51 pm 

Based on the acceptance of this processing, it is likely I'll be building one or more additional ones. I'll buy a Marian then if it's available. I don't want to deal with overseas shipping if at all possible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:59 pm 

Quote:
Based on the acceptance of this processing, it is likely I'll be building one or more additional ones. I'll buy a Marian then if it's available. I don't want to deal with overseas shipping if at all possible.
I dread overseas shipping as well but in that case, I called an 800 number and explained that the American distributor didn't have any in stock. When they told me the price for shipping, I asked what shipping was for 2 and it was far less so I bought 2 at the time. Once I secured the cheaper shipping for 2, it was as simple as telling them to send me 2 of them and giving them my card number. They do all the "fun" stuff to make it happen :)

As noted somewhere along the line, you can't use the current driver. Have to use 2.01 or 2.02 for it to work right. I have it if you should have trouble locating it in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:07 pm 

A month so far with the M-Audio card and no issues. Very stable, good modulation control and good quality.