All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:11 pm 

Hi,

we are now using StereoTool for our (licensed :-)) campus radio station. We only have one problem left:

the low latency output needs a configured buffer size of 15 ms in ST, otherwise we get drop outs. Our ASIO buffer size is set to 96 samples, we are using the Marian Trace 8.

Hans, you said it would work with as low as 6 ms - what are we doing wrong? :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

Not 6 but approx. 11. But that should be the total latency (including processing) so indeed about 5-6 ms for buffering.

Bunch of questions:
I suppose your total latency is now about 21 ms? (6 for processing, 15 for buffer). This is displayed in the sound card settings window.
At which sample rate are you running?
Can you check the CPU load?
How many cores do you have, and what happens if you increase the priority of Stereo Tool?
Are the hiccups occasional or do they happen constantly?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 am 

Quote:
Not 6 but approx. 11. But that should be the total latency (including processing) so indeed about 5-6 ms for buffering.
Yep, thats what I meant.
Quote:
Bunch of questions:
I suppose your total latency is now about 21 ms? (6 for processing, 15 for buffer). This is displayed in the sound card settings window.
It says 1 ms for proc and 17 ms for buffer (I have 15 ms on LL output and 1 ms on input).
Quote:
192 kHz
Quote:
How many cores do you have, and what happens if you increase the priority of Stereo Tool?
4 cores, with hyperthreading. Does not get better with hyperthreading disabled. The cpu load is quite ok, this is a 3.1 GHz i7 :-) I will test with higher prio when I get to the studio again.
Quote:
Constantly (and the DPC checker shows only green low bars). Am I right that reducing the ASIO latency to the lowest achievable level makes sense or isn't it respected at all and overriden by the ST settings?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:47 am 
Site Admin

Ok, first set input buffer to 0 - the minimum value of 1 was a bug a few versions ago...

1 ms for processing - that must be a bug.. --> Yes, found it, caused by the high sample rate; will be fixed in next build. So that's 6, not 1.

Could you try something else? How low can you go with the normal or FM output? If you set the Stereo Tool latency to 512, you should be able to reach a total of 17 ms there (12 ms processing + 5 ms buffering; calculation will probably show 4 ms for processing but it's really 12). If that doesn't work either it's something on your system, if it *does* work it's something in Stereo Tool. I would have tested it myself but my laptop sound card doesn't support ASIO properly and I borrowed my Juli@ sound card to a nearby radio station that had issues with their old processor and needed to go on-air rapidly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:56 pm 

Quote:
Ok, first set input buffer to 0 - the minimum value of 1 was a bug a few versions ago...

1 ms for processing - that must be a bug.. --> Yes, found it, caused by the high sample rate; will be fixed in next build. So that's 6, not 1.

Could you try something else? How low can you go with the normal or FM output? If you set the Stereo Tool latency to 512, you should be able to reach a total of 17 ms there (12 ms processing + 5 ms buffering; calculation will probably show 4 ms for processing but it's really 12). If that doesn't work either it's something on your system, if it *does* work it's something in Stereo Tool. I would have tested it myself but my laptop sound card doesn't support ASIO properly and I borrowed my Juli@ sound card to a nearby radio station that had issues with their old processor and needed to go on-air rapidly.
Will check it this evening when few people are listening. But it made sense to set the ASIO latency to the lowest value of 96 samples, right? Or should I increase the ASIO latency in the ASIO config dialog?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Will check it this evening when few people are listening. But it made sense to set the ASIO latency to the lowest value of 96 samples, right? Or should I increase the ASIO latency in the ASIO config dialog?
O you're always on-air now. That makes things more difficult, I assumed you had occasional broadcasts only. ASIO at 96 should be ok, it's VERY low assuming you're running at 192 kHz (I always set the Juli@ at 256), but the type of hiccups I would expect if that value is too low would not be solved by increasing the buffer size. In fact, I'm guessing that you should be able to reach lower latencies than the ones I mentioned - so instead of 17 ms maybe 16 or 15.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:19 am 

Quote:

Bunch of questions:

Hey Hans!
Hope all is well
Looking for posts on Latency and this seemed like the place for my response.

I have an Internet Radio Station and I've built a standalone Linux box for my Stereo Tool processing and will be using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card for now and looking at Digigram cards for later.

The Linux box is a Dell Inspiron with following specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 3062MB (781MB used)
Machine Type Desktop
Operating System Linux Mint 19.2 Tina

Stereo Tool Settings
4 processing cores optimized for throughput (shared with I/O)
Latency 4096 Samples [anything less and I hear the quality diminish]

I'm still learning and not sure how to adjust my latency. My setup is a Intel Mac Pro with Radiologik playout thru an M-Audio USB Ultra to the analog mixer for music and mics. Then into Stereo Tool box from mixer and to the input of the M-Audio USB Ultra which then routes to Nicecast to be processed for the Icecast Server for my stream. I'm still testing different presets and will buy soon. The latency out of the Stereo Tool box is as much as 9 to 12 seconds (yep, seconds and not miliseconds). The preset of choice so far is the Bojcha - Diggy Down under old FM presets because of it's incredible sound; the same one under Stream/DAB and such doesn't sound as big and clean. Once I solve this latency issue, am I able stream to my Icecast server from Stereo Tool and if so, will my metadata pass thru Stereo Tool? Hopefully I've not driven you crazy with my crazy setup.
Thank You Hans
I'm grateful for all of the hard work you and others put into Stereo Tool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:11 pm 

In general, bumping an old thread is not a good idea. Its better to start a new one. This one is 6 years old.

But to one of your questions: Nicecast can pick up the info from Radiologik directly. I assume their both on the same mac. Read the Radiologik manual to figure out howto, its not to many settings to mess with. Nicecst is is gone, Audio Hijack is the new thingi to work with. But, nicecast still works greate. (https://macinmind.com/Help/Radiologik/D ... oadcasting)

About the latency, start to adjust the buffersize at the audio output in Stereotool.

MrDonT