All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Balanced out?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:47 am 

We are looking to buy a professional sound card to use with ST

I am eying the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 as their included software/drivers have some nifty features (audio levels monitoring etc)
I read the review at http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/multimedi ... ion51.html

Can anyone vouch for this sound card? I might also look at getting 2 more for our Jazler playout pc

Once i am generating the MPX signal from ST, should this be placed in one of the L or R channels (XLR balanced) on my STL
or on the bnc external MPX connector

Post subject: Re: Balanced out?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 pm 

Hmm scratch that, going for ESI Juli@

Unbalanced and balanced output and the maudio revolution was quite old

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

I'm using the ESI Juli@ myself and it's working fine, both for stereo and RDS.

I must add that I'm using a VERY cheap (15 euro) low quality FM transmitter, so I cannot really tell you if the Juli@ output signal is perfect. With my current setup, when I use the Stereo Tool "Calibrate FM transmitter" settings I can achieve a stereo separation of about 30 dB, which indicates that some small differences (about 30 dB softer than the actual signal) are still being introduced somewhere in the path between Stereo Tool and receiver. My guess is that "somewhere" is inside the transmitter - but I have no means of checking it. I've noticed that even adding just 5 meters of extension cable introduces large differences - so using balanced output might help.

By the way, phase shifts and volume effects can be removed using "Calibrate FM transmitter". If a sound card introduces other artifacts, such as harmonic frequencies, that cannot be solved. (This is why SoundBlaster/Creative cards don't work properly).

Note that a 30 dB channel separation is good enough for almost every purpose - unless you're planning to broadcast different tracks on different channels noone will ever notice it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:11 pm 

great, i have ordered 2 units, 1 for StereoTool and one for my Playout PC (will use on board for cue channel)

The after sales support here is great, I really appreciate it!