All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:32 am 

Hi folks,
Couldn't think of a better forum than this to gather opinions that would help me with my purchase decision.
I intend to purchase the soundcard in subject. I singled it out merely on the basis of technical specs the manufacturer has quoted on the site.
It uses PCM1792A for DAC, CS5381 for ADC and a headphone AMP TPA6120A2.
Specs could be very misleading to say the least. Hence, I need opinion from people you have had first hand experience with this hardware.
Especially wrt to it's on-air performance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:55 pm 

for what purposes ? Home use, FM, stream..?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:40 pm 

FM broadcast(amateur), monitoring - that kinda stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:49 am 

FM? then i think it's more safer - Juli@. Don't tell anyone i like more Juli@ then Marian Trace Alpha!

I did't try that soundcard and I am not sure, but i think ASUS uses some technology from Creative, and creative soundcards are ... not good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

According to Leif the Marian Trace Alpha is better. I haven't tested it myself though...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:44 pm 

Yes.. better in "tilt" thing... 'we' can always calibrate that!
I found some bugs in Marian drivers and also there is no 64bit drivers. Routing is bit strange too..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:31 am 

Neither of the two(Marian Trace Alpha / ESI Juli@) is available in local markets where I live.
I already have a Creative X Fi. Problem is I don't get stereo reception when using this soundcard (set to 192kHz) and the FM xmitter I built.
However, using onboard Realtek ALC892, I easily get that. But, sound is not that sparkling clean (I don't expect it from a 85 db SNR on-board solution).

Other than Asus Xonar Essence ST, one of the dealers stocks Lynx L22. That would be an exorbitant investment just for an amateur-ish interest. Moreover, there's no guarantee it would serve my purpose (FM tilt, stereo xmission etc that Bojcha is stating)
So... still undecided.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:53 am 
Site Admin

No way to order one online? I know the Juli@'s are hard to find - could only find 2 online stores in the Netherlands that had it in stock when I bought it a few years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:51 am 

Absolutely none! My tussle with Google churned out references of people sharing their means of getting that soundcard sourced through some acquaintances.
I had high hopes from one online shopping site which has option for 'Pay cash on delivery' (since I don't have a credit card). Sadly it has stock for only Creative X-Fi series. :x

So, yesterday I decided to end my confusion and agony. I risked it and purchased the Xonar Essence ST.
Took a day off from my work to assemble the sound card (and an XFX HD 6790).

I hope I revert to this thread with some good news and feedback about the card. Else I'll be happy with the 'pristine', crytal clear MONO xmission [don't miss the adjectives I just used - they mark my attempt at self-consolation] and will rather wait till I get down to Germany sometime this September and possibly get a Juli@

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I guess you can also return it if it doesn't work? I bought an X-Fi when I started (based on the 192 kHz claim), but I could return it without any issues when I told them I couldn't generate a decent FM stereo signal with it...