All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Win 10 20H2 audio issues
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:49 am 

Hans,

are these Win 10 changes affecting on your code?

https://support.telosalliance.com/artic ... windows-10

BR,
Janne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:44 pm 
Site Admin

Ow. Interesting. I had heard that some people had issues with these Windows 10 updates, then we updated to the latest PortAudio version and the problems went away. I didn't know it was a sleep issue - but in the official Windows documentation they always left open whether it was 15 ms or 1 ms (I think it was 15 ms in Windows 98 or XP or so), so in our code we always assume it can be either. Of course a library like PortAudio might not have assumed that.

So, the latest Stereo Tool version should be fine. Older versions are usually fine as well, but apparently not with certain sound cards (switching between MME/KS/Wasapi might help; ASIO is not affected at all because that's all our own code).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:59 pm 

Every windows i had, one of first things to set after instalation is 1ms Timer Resolution. It's one of first things for gamers to set too. Idk when they even back it to 1ms, and now what.. again 15? I thought it was always 15. 15.625 to be precize.
You can always enfoce that to be 1ms or whatever you want. Even programs have set that in windows when they are started and upon close they restore it to whatever default is.
So now what, I always use 1ms. So i had wrong settings for StereoTool all the time? I dont think it's ideal to be whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:25 pm 

some more in-depth information about CPU timer resolution and the changes that were made.
https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2020/ ... le-change/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:10 am 

This discussion encouraged me to check the timer value on my Windows 10 host machine - the timer value was 0.9973ms. After doing some digging, I found that this was due to synthetic timers. I decided to force Windows to revert back to using timerticks rather than synthetic timers and set the time ticks to 1ms.

I haven't seen any change in my station automation software (RadioDJ), but I have seen a change in Stereo Tool - I am no longer getting random errors concerning audio synchronization.

EDIT

Okay, I'm still getting an occasional error message, but they _seem_ rarer.

EDIT 2

Yup - definitely fewer audio sync error messages

Last edited by dave@daveball.net on Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:42 pm 

Quote:
This discussion encouraged me to check the timer value on my Windows 10 host machine - the timer value was 0.9973ms. After doing some digging, I found that this was due to synthetic timers. I decided to force Windows to revert back to using timerticks rather than synthetic timers and set the time ticks to 1ms.

I haven't seen any change in my station automation software (RadioDJ), but I have seen a change in Stereo Tool - I am no longer getting random errors concerning audio synchronization.
Mine is also exactly 0.9973 and it seems i cant force it to 1 or more. i can set to 0.4959 but not more then 0.9973. How did you set it 1 ?

EDIT Fount it!
>CommandPrompt in admin mode set those 3 lines one by one
bcdedit /set useplatformclock no
bcdedit /set useplatformtick yes
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
>Reboot windows.