All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:43 pm 

Hi everyone

I'm trying to find a USB Sound Card with AES/EBU output at 192kHz for digital MPX over IP.

So far I have only found one, Yellowtec PUC2
https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/95-8 ... nd-AES-EBU

£450 :|

Does anyone know of any others that are suitable but cheaper?

We literally just need USB input and a single AES/EBU output for Digital MPX.

Rack space at the site is very limited so would rather not have to use a full-size PC with a PCIe card. Planning to run a fanless NUC mini-pc.

Thanks 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:55 pm 

Does this seem like it would work? It's also not exactly inexpensive at $325, but it seems like it might meet your requirements. https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-au ... ace/u-dio8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:34 pm 

Looks like it would do the job. And a little cheaper too..

But then I found a concerning review about jitter:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... iew.10919/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:18 pm 

I use the Topping D10 192 khz USB DAC/DDC which is only $100 USD to feed Digital MPX to my Broadcast Warehouse TX300v3. It has a SPDIF coax out, not AES/EBU. This is not a problem at all because I then use an AES/EBU digital impedance transformer adapter made by Neutrik. It is the NADITBNC-M Female 75 ohm BNC to XLR 110 ohm output version and is $45 USD. This solution works perfectly and flawlessly. The Topping D10 was personally measured to have flat audio response to almost 80 khz on it's DC coupled analog output. No tilt compensation is needed at all in Stereo Tool. Useful if you ever need to use the analog outputs to feed MPX to an older transmitter. Long story short, after testing numerous USB 192 khz DACs, the Topping D10 was the best all around winner. Not many DACs out there have analog and digital output, this one does! I have the older D10 model which has been replaced by the D10s model. Physically they are the same, but with a different chip and ever so slightly better S/N.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:58 pm 

Thanks rocket91fm for the great info! :) I had been wondering about SPDIF to AES and how reliable it would be, but if you have real-world tested it and have it running, that is wonderful news!

Where did you purchase the Topping D10? I have seen some on eBay from China, are they the same?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:13 pm 

I bought mine from Amazon in the US. Be careful who you buy from though. Apparently there are counterfeit Topping D10 and D10's out there such as the Aimpire AD10 that are horrible. Topping's official website is: https://www.tpdz.net and scroll down to Authorized Sellers on the bottom of the page: https://www.tpdz.net/authorizedsellers
SHENZHEN AUDIO: shenzhenaudio.com seems to be a legit exporter from China and depending on the country you are in is probably the safest bet given they are listed as an authorized Topping dealer, offer free global shipping, price match guarantee, and returns.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:24 am 

Thanks very much for the advice :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:14 pm 

Quote:
I use the Topping D10 192 khz USB DAC/DDC which is only $100 USD to feed Digital MPX to my Broadcast Warehouse TX300v3. It has a SPDIF coax out, not AES/EBU. This is not a problem at all because I then use an AES/EBU digital impedance transformer adapter made by Neutrik. It is the NADITBNC-M Female 75 ohm BNC to XLR 110 ohm output version and is $45 USD. This solution works perfectly and flawlessly. The Topping D10 was personally measured to have flat audio response to almost 80 khz on it's DC coupled analog output. No tilt compensation is needed at all in Stereo Tool. Useful if you ever need to use the analog outputs to feed MPX to an older transmitter. Long story short, after testing numerous USB 192 khz DACs, the Topping D10 was the best all around winner. Not many DACs out there have analog and digital output, this one does! I have the older D10 model which has been replaced by the D10s model. Physically they are the same, but with a different chip and ever so slightly better S/N.
Just a technical question: why is this impedance transformer needed? It basically transforms spdif coax to AES EBU?
Thank you!