All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:15 pm 

I could some some ideas and help to get me un-stuck on this project.

Here's the background on what I want to do: some friends of mine run a new-pop/AAA streaming station -- http://bhammountainradio.com/ -- which uses SAM Broadcaster. Recently they were in the news for being picked up by a Birmingham (Alabama) broadcast FM station. That's great for them, but unfortunatly they had to turn off the internal SAM processing in the stream in order to feed raw audio to the FM repeater.

This means their stream audio has now gone from "meh" (SAM processing) to "worse" (no processing at all, with levels all over the place). To their credit, they do pay attention to putting the highest-quality source audio into SAM.

I have been singing the praises of StereoTool to their IT guys -- originally to somewhat un-do the mess that the SAM processing was making, and now to create a consistently-great sound -- even with ST being used on the other end of their 128 kb/s MP3 stream. The problem is that I'm a 7-hour drive away, so it's not practical for me to repeatedly drop in to the station to demonstrate the magic of ST on their automation.

Thus this project: I'm not *that* close where they will allow me remote-access into their SAM. But, since I have ST fine-tuned on my home PC via the ST Winamp plug, I had the bright idea to simply re-stream the processed output of Winamp back through my high-speed static IP, the purpose being that I could ask the various parties at the stream and FM stations to sample what a stream with ST processing sounds like, and to also demonstrate that it would be OK to feed an ST-processed stream into the FM transmitter with its built-in Optimod 5500.

Where I am stuck is how to get the output stream working. Per advice of another thread on this forum, I've loaded the SHOUTcast Winamp DSP plugin along with DSP stacker. I can see the input meters inside SHOUTcast working, but I cannot figure out how to set up SHOUTCAST to just output a stream to a single IP in standalone mode without going through a SHOUTcast server. Can it do that, or do I need to take another approach (Windows XP/SP3)?

All help is greatly appreciated. If and when I can get this to work, I intend to use the same private "turnaround" to demonstrate to other streamers the power of ST.

Thanks,

Doctor Technical
Baton Rouge, LA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:45 pm 

For sure double processing is never recommended. No metter what 2 processors with multiband compression/limiting.
Problem they have is actually very simple to solve. On their main stream they can keep their processing as they like, and make another not-processed private stream wich can anyone use for anything else.
Another server with 5 slots costs nothing.

If they want to replace SAM processing with ST processing - easy.
They would need Standalone ST and one or two VAC's. (depend on soundcard capability)

br

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:21 pm 

Thank you. I agree on all points, but if only for my personal education I would still like to play with the "turnaround" idea. Remember this is just to demonstrate the sound of ST. All of the folks at this station are great people, but none are audio engineers.

Personal to you Bojcha: I've enjoyed deconstructing your presets to listen and learn the effect of your adjustments. I've had my hands on everything from a Volumax to an 11, but in my 35 years of radio engineering there is always something new to learn.

Regards, DT.