All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:29 pm 

I am having issues with getting Stereo tools to work correctly with RDS while using Sam Broadcaster 3. RDS works fine when using winamp. My sound card is an N_Audio revolution 7.1. Somehow the stereo tools stays at 44100 when using SAM. Winamp changes to 176400. Is it a SAM problem?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:41 am 
Site Admin

It should work, assuming you're using Direct Sound Card Access from within Stereo Tool. What might happen is that SAM somehow accesses the sound card differently, locking it to 44.1 kHz. Possible solution: Select a different (output?) sound card in SAM... This may lead to other problems, but it's a good test to see if this is indeed the problem. If it is, many sound card allow setting their sample rate in the driver. That way you might be able to force it to use 176.4 or 192 (make sure it matches what Stereo Tool sends out or you'll get horrible resampling artifacts from Windows).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 pm 

The sound sound seems to be taken over by Sam's. I haven't figured out how the this sound card can override it.. Not sure if any one else on this board has any ideas..

Question... Could it be possible to create a new version of the plugin that has the same features of the standalone where I could select the sample rate to 176400 in stereotools combo within the configuration area?

I really like youe program and it works amazing in winamp. I just don't like winamp itself..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:36 pm 

You use DSP or Standalone?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

If you use Direct Sound Card Access, Stereo Tool already attempts to open the sound card at a proper sample rate to send out a full MPX signal - normally that's 4 times the input sample rate (so 176400 for 44100 and 192000 for 48000).

If it works fine in the stand alone version (you do get stereo and RDS) but not with the plugin in SAM, then what probably happens is that 2 programs (both SAM and ST) are accessing the same sound card, and something (windows, sound card driver) decides to send out everything at 44.1/48 kHz instead of the sample rate requested by Stereo Tool.

So adding a setting in Stereo Tool wouldn't help here. What should help is selecting a different sound card in SAM, so it won't interfere with the one selected in Stereo Tool anymore.

If you have no extra sound card that you can select, you could try installing Virtual Audio Cable (you don't need to register it) and send the SAM output there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:33 pm 

I should have replied sooner. Sorry..

I tested it 2 days ago and found out that rds does work when I set Sam's to use the onboard sound card and stereo tools as the m-audio card.

Stereo tools is quite amazing software...

Question.. Will that affect the sound quality?

I understand it's probably slow. But it does work..

AMD 3200+ socket 939 {single core}
1 gig of DDR 400 ram
windows xp pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Well, assuming that you're not using the output that SAM sent to the internal sound card... No.

Just one important warning: If you use different sound cards at the same time, chances are that one of the two runs a bit faster than the other and will start to have gaps after a while. To avoid this, in Stereo Tool in the panel where you can select the FM sound card, select to send less data to SAM. Not nothing - that will cause SAM to hangup...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:31 pm 

I noticed that you are right in that selecting "Nothing" for "Send to winamp" causes the system to hang and be very slow. I thought it was because of my slow CPU..

Where is this option for "send less data to SAM"?

The only options I see for "send to winamp" under "Enable direct Soundcard Access" are
"Nothing , Silence, Normal output and Unprocessed input". My output driver setting on Sam is "Kernel Streaming output"

Also, by setting up Sam to use the onboard audio and Stereo Tools using M-Audio card, it does use the Wave settings within the volume control. So shouldn't it be coming from Sam through the CPU to Stereo tools?

FYI... All my setting in Sam are set to "Bypass all" and I am not using the equalizer settings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:40 pm 
Site Admin

Ow. I was really sure that I had such an option earlier - I guess not. :(
Well then just any of the other settings is good. Just hoping it won't cause issues (you can get an impression by looking at the FM output buffer filling slider).
Quote:
Also, by setting up Sam to use the onboard audio and Stereo Tools using M-Audio card, it does use the Wave settings within the volume control. So shouldn't it be coming from Sam through the CPU to Stereo tools?
I really don't know what you're asking?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:05 am 

Changing the buffer slider down to 0.100 seconds helped.