All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Mixxx
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:22 pm 

I use SAM Broadcaster for my stream, but I was recently looking around for a friend at some of the free software out there. Mixxx seems decent, but I don't really see any way of using Stereo Tool there.
Does anyone know if that's something that would be possible?
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Mixxx
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Hey, I didn't know that program. Anyway, if there's no Winamp or VST plugin support, you can always use the stand alone version with Virtual Audio Cable. That costs around 20 euro I think (last time I looked), still a whole lot cheaper than SAM.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:34 am 

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not planning on ditching SAM anytime soon - for me, it's still the best out there for what I need, for the main programming and automation on my stream, but I'm working on getting others to do shows on the stream, and it looks like Mixxx will probably work for that, because it can stream audio, supports interfaces and mics (actually, with external controller/device support, it's probably better than SAM, but I personally don't need that), and seems to work as a DJ software pretty well.
It doesn't seem to have automation support though, which is what I really use from SAM, but for any live shows, it should work fine.
It doesn't look like there's much support for official plugins, but it does say that they have audio playback plugin support - if there's some way to get Stereo Tool working with Mixxx as a plugin, that would be really cool...
I wouldn't know the first thing about doing it, so I'm not going to try to contact them about it, but it is open source, which, in some ways, is a big plus, and I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be interested in working on something on their end...
We could always use VAC, but I have run into some issues with it in the past, though if we do end up using it, that's probably better than not using anything at all!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Ok, I've been reading a bit, but it seems that Mixxx currently only supports input plugins :-(

Just tried it out, indeed for live shows it might work great. Automatic mode really sucks though... I don't really understand why, I think it's possible to make something much better than this in just a few days. If you can make a program like this, getting better cross fading behavior really should not be that difficult.

Anyway, no other solution than VAC for now - it might be worth to add a feature request to support VST or DSP (or even their own type of) plugins.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:16 pm 

Thanks for looking into it!
From my quick tests, it doesn't seem like there's much automation support there, but for live shows, there's a lot more hardware support than SAM has.
Since at this point, my main focus is automation, I can't use it, but I'm having some friends try it for live shows.
Anyways, would've been nice if ST would've been an option, but I hope they add support for other plugins at some point...
I can try to submit a feature request, but I'm not sure if I'll know what I'm asking for... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:14 pm 
Site Admin

"Ability to load and use Winamp DSP plugins or VST plugins" should do the job :-)

But since it's a cross-platform product I doubt that they'll add it.

BTW: Some time ago I wrote some code to load Stereo Tool as a DSP plugin - it only takes a few lines of code... So feel free to send them to me if they need help. (I can probably give them working code for this immediately).