All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:12 am 

Hello
I am experiencing an issue with Stereo Tool.
Our radio station uses Myriad Playout (with presenters live remotely) and we use Stereo Tool for processing.
We use Stereo Tool with 2 input:
- the music, coming from the layout system
- the voice from the presenter, remote, via virtual audio cable.

I'm not an expert so I'm using basically the default setup on stereo tool.
However I have noticed 2 issues:
- The voice of the presenter gets broadcasted a lot later than when the presenter starts to talk, and feels like they're talking way after the songs are ended, leaving silence.
- When the presenter talks over the start of a song, the song starts low in volume (as Myriad Playout has a button ducking the music by a certain percentage), but then the music is pushed back up in volume after a few seconds, overpowering the voice of the presenter themselves, despite the ducking on our playout is still active.

Does anyone know what this could be due to?
I have uploaded a little snippet in mp3 if you want to hear what I'm talking about: https://we.tl/t-Hjxu6to4ZU

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:43 am 

Quote:
The voice of the presenter gets broadcasted a lot later than when the presenter starts to talk, and feels like they're talking way after the songs are ended, leaving silence.
I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than me could help you here but it's latency. This can be caused by either the wrong buffering value or too much software routing.

Unfortunately I'm also here to find an answer to your second question on "ducking". No matter what preset I use in ST, and I'm current using Bojcha's excellent Studio HD, as soon as I finish talking the volume takes a few seconds to rise and return to normal. I'm assuming here it's the AGC but with limited gate, attack and release experience, I'm at a loss.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:59 am 

Quote:
Quote:
The voice of the presenter gets broadcasted a lot later than when the presenter starts to talk, and feels like they're talking way after the songs are ended, leaving silence.
I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable than me could help you here but it's latency. This can be caused by either the wrong buffering value or too much software routing.

Unfortunately I'm also here to find an answer to your second question on "ducking". No matter what preset I use in ST, and I'm current using Bojcha's excellent Studio HD, as soon as I finish talking the volume takes a few seconds to rise and return to normal. I'm assuming here it's the AGC but with limited gate, attack and release experience, I'm at a loss.
Idk about latency problems, but i can answer about processing. Yes, it is AGC, and AGC is doing what it suppose to do. People doesn't do what they supposed to do. If your mic is way louder then music you play, what you hear is exactly what will happen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:13 pm 

Quote:
Idk about latency problems, but i can answer about processing. Yes, it is AGC, and AGC is doing what it suppose to do. People doesn't do what they supposed to do. If your mic is way louder then music you play, what you hear is exactly what will happen.
Hi Bojcha, thanks for the reply. I will agree my mic is louder, not booming, but enough to cut through the music. So I'll try to lower the volume and see how it sounds.