All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:01 am 

How to setup stereo tool winamp DSP + couple of other programs so that you can have all the audio which passes through your sound card's output to first go through stereo tool's processing and then through milk drop and finally to the output on your sound card.

This is all done on windows 7 x64, no ASIO and generic motherboard integrated sound card.
The only big difference - my output is an optical cable going to a 5.1 surround sound receiver :) But this should work no matter what your output type is. Unless its alien.

You don't need winamp for all of this, if you simply want to pass all audio through stereo tool then get the stereo tool winamp DSP .dll file. Have fun with that part if you don't have winamp!

FIRST
get http://www.claessonedwards.com/forum/vi ... 92&start=0 (don't worry you don't need to buy this program for what I'm about to show you)
Install it the demo version. (don't worry you don't need to buy this program for what I'm about to show you)
Keep all the setting default, unless you know what you're doing.
Win 7 might ask permission to install a new audio device, do so.

When you start it you should see this screen first.
If not, on the main window click settings > I/O Config.
Set "input 1" as "Breakaway Pipeline 1".
Leave everything else except SRC alone on this line. Make sure SRC is not checked. (doesn't matter either way but leaving it checked is useless)
Set "output 1" as your default output device. Mine is the optical out to my receiver.
This is where you could run into your first problem.
Remember, by default I mean what output on your soundcard is connected to the speakers or amp. This is usually simple "output" but it will be different for different setups.
Make all the settings on the bottom part the same as mine, you don't have to have it start with your computer that's your choice.
Click finish and you should see something similar to this.
Mine is a little different cause I turned off the top bar and some other stuff.

Open up the volume manager in windows. Doing this is a lot simpler and to the point with windows 7 for me, I don't know how you'd do this on any other OS. :\
I've set Line 1 for breakaway as my default play back device. This allows all audio to go to this device. This in turn will be our first input device on the I/O config for breakaway.
Break away will then send all the audio to your actual output device.

You can check if it works by opening up a new instance of any browser and play something on youtube.
Open up the volume mixer and check that the audio from the browser is going to Line 1 and then your output is magically also getting audio.

If it all works your next step is to turn off the processing done by Breakaway. By doing this you also turn off an annoying reminder that you're running demo software.

On the main Breakaway page click on settings to open this window.
Copy the settings from the image.

On the side you'll see effects plugins, click edit.
Enable the first plug-in and browse to where the Stereotool DSP is.
This did not work with the stand alone version of stereo tool, only the Winamp DSP version.

And BAM thats all there is to processing all audio through Stereo Tool.

NEXT
How to connect this to milkdrop :)
Go back into the I/O settings and switch output to disabled.

Get this plugin for winamp http://home.hccnet.nl/th.v.d.gronde/dev ... index.html
The settings page looks like this.
Click on "Add location wizard".
Give a title.
and thhennnnn :O
I chose those settings based on what I have as the default format for my output device.
Make Line 2 Breakaway as the device for the sake of this tutorial.
After you make the preset with the line in plugin, a new entry should have been added to your playlist with the name you first entered. Bookmark this!

Goto winamp's output settings and make sure that for "default output device" there is actually a device in there, instead of microsoft sound mapper or default audio device.
If you did the stuff in the FIRST part properly this should be the same as what you put in for "output" in the I/O config.

I use the direct sound output plugin.
These are my settings for this type of setup.

Open the stereo tool that is running through BreakAway. You need to turn on the direct to sound card settings.

Open the bookmark and make sure winamp is playing. You shouldn't hear anything, but if you do have audio on and you hear it AND winamp's visualizer is reacting to the audio then VOILA everything is set! :)

Open up milkdrop and it will work too!

But this is a very complicated setup for regular use, but if you want to trip out to milkdrop while listening to audio through other sources then this is the best I can provide :)

Cool for first tutorial? Its messy but eh x)

THINGS I DONT LIKE
The buffer sizes are REALLLY small, it shouldn't affect audio quality since this is adding on to the original buffer of the audio source. Now I don't like the fact that there are additional buffers at all. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH >.<
(SOLUTION) There is a "no latency" or "low latency" winamp wave out plugin, but that makes my winamp crash. :\

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:33 pm 

Quote:
Important: I discovered a plug-in related bug in all previous Breakaway Live versions. Effects plug-ins were told the sample rate of the Output device, even though they're running on the Input device clock! So, with previous BA Live versions, unless Input and Output sample rates are the same, the vuvuzela filter WILL NOT WORK.

Here is a fixed version: Breakaway Live 0.90.96b
http://www.ceaudio.com/beta/breakaway_l ... 90.96b.exe
or here
http://www.claessonedwards.com/forum/vi ... af35abb100

A little bit off-topic (or not ? - so, please ignore it):
Personally I hate MilkDrop (and any other kind of visualisation plugin).
I want to concentrate on music.
If you want to see psychedelic Sci-Fi animations then watch Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" !
I really don't get it, that especially young people always need an additional visual input (to pollute their brains with more useless information).
Multi-Tasking for human beings is an illusion.
While you watch your visualisation animations you are damaging your listening pleasure, because the human brain has only a very small RAM.
So, what do you want ?
Watching stupid psychedelic Sci-Fi animations ?
Or do you want to listen to music ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:34 pm 

Quote:

A little bit off-topic (or not ? - so, please ignore it):
Personally I hate MilkDrop (and any other kind of visualisation plugin).
I want to concentrate on music.
If you want to see psychedelic Sci-Fi animations then watch Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" !
I really don't get it, that especially young people always need an additional visual input (to pollute their brains with more useless information).
Multi-Tasking for human beings is an illusion.
While you watch your visualisation animations you are damaging your listening pleasure, because the human brain has only a very small RAM.
So, what do you want ?
Watching stupid psychedelic Sci-Fi animations ?
Or do you want to listen to music ?

I hope hans doesn't get mad about me posting that, but yeah thats why we kids like our visualizers :)

On a serious note, I like it because I listen to a lot of electronic music. A visual experience only adds to the music. Thought I don't do that all the time, when the time is right its a perfect match to almost any electronic music. I've tried to watch milkdrop while listening to metallica, or RHCP even SOAD and it was interesting but in the end pointless and gay.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:59 pm 

LOL
Quote:
when the time is right its a perfect match to almost any electronic music.
Ok, this makes sense, because this is based on loops and pattern structures (similar to the machine logic of visualisations).
Quote:
I've tried to watch milkdrop while listening to metallica, or RHCP even SOAD and it was interesting but in the end pointless and gay.
The higher the complexity of the music is (non-linear), the less you need an additional visual input.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:01 am 

I completely agree with the 2001 reference on your first reply.
No visualizer will ever come close to the effects used at the end of that movie!