All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: VST Plugin Problem...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:45 am 

Hi again everyone sorry to keep finding problems but I need help once again :)

Ok so I recently asked about making ST respond quick enough as the song plays to not have peaks and jumps in volume of bass and all that. The suggested advice worked perfect...for the DSP plugin.

When I use the VST plugin with the EXACT same preset I get the first 3-4 seconds of every song un-processed and then it starts to work. I've tried to add 5 seconds of silence first before running the VST plugin on the song and it still happens.

Any way to fix this? I can upload an example if need be.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Completely un-processed?! Or do you mean that the first few seconds are way too loud?

If you mean completely un-processed:
Can you check for example by setting the input or output volume (Pre Amp or Post Amp) at 0? And: Which VST host are you using?

If the first few seconds are too loud:
That makes sense. If you play a new track, the AGC starts at the maximum volume. Then it drops when the first loud kick appears. But, in your solution you are actually bypassing the AGC. So the solution for this is: Turn AGC off, and lower Pre Amp untill you get the sound that you want (which will probably load to a Pre Amp between 1.00 and 2.00, depending on your AGC setting and the volume of the tracks that you're playing).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:42 pm 

Ok I think it is the "too loud" option. The thing is, there IS some AGC settings being used because when I turn it off and reduce pre-amp it's not the same sound. Here are my settings:

And just in case I am incorrect about the "loudness" being the problem, here is a short sample of original and then processed through ST with VST plugin using Adobe Audition 3.0.

ORIGINAL:
http://www.mediafire.com/?av1ghge956ph2rm

PROCESSED WITH ST:
http://www.mediafire.com/?k9961y94e8vm28t

If there is no perfect solution I can live with it. But as you can see it's not because of the first bass/kick drum that it turns down the volume. But interestingly enough, if I use Winamp's ST plugin, when I go from song to song, that loud couple seconds at the beginning don't occur...ever.

Thanks for helping and being so patient with me :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, it's not a kick, but another loud sound.

If you would play it in Winamp with the same setting you might get the same effect, but ONLY for the first song you play after you start it.

The solution is:
- Play this song
- Check the volume bars (the vertical red/green bars in your screenshot) at the end
- Multiply Pre Amp by how full those bars are. So, say they are at 1/3rd, then you need to multiply Pre Amp by 1/3rd. (So if it's set at 10, you need to set it at 3.33). Then turn AGC off.

(If you look at those bars during playback, you'll see them drop in steps whenever new - louder - sounds occur)

By the way, if you use Stereo Tool to author a song in a VST host, you probably shouldn't use the AGC anyway. The goal of the AGC is to keep different tracks at roughtly the same level, but inside a single track (especially if the volume of that track is more or less constant during the duration of it) it should do as little as possible.