All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:48 pm 

I cannot get Stereo Tool to play nicely with Wavelab and I wonder if anyone can offer some guidance?

I've installed the VST3 x64 plugin and I can load Stereo Tool into Wavelab's Master Section. The GUI seems to work fine. Some people have commented about blank screens, but I don't have that. Occasionally, the Stereo Tool window will blow up and make itself very wide, and it doesn't want to be resized. But the GUI works OK.

The real problem is that when I go to render my project, I get error messages. Wavelab reports that Stereo Tools is telling Wavelab that "the plugin could not be loaded." I have played around with the order of plugins, etc., to no effect. I'm wondering if the VST2 plugin might work better, or perhaps the x32 version?

Does anyone have any wisdom to share? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:26 pm 

Have you tried a recent Beta version? There have been many optimizations to the way the sizing and scaling are handled. Not to mention, it's the new GUI, which is being actively tweaked and refined for the next big release. Be sure to leave feedback. But also give it time.

I downloaded Wavelab Cast, and I don't get the issues you experience in 10.02 BETA040. However, they sound totally familiar with how it used to behave in OBS before Tom tweaked the crap out of it. However, being an official Steinberg product (the creators of the VST standards) I would be freaking shocked if the same issue was the cause of OBS' issues.

edit: I want to admit I didn't press render, I only played back. :oops:

Last edited by MrKlorox on Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:02 am 

Thanks for the tip about using the Beta. I installed Beta 10.02-055 and indeed the GUI is better, etc. As a VST3, Stereo Tool loads just fine and I can see it doing its thing. I'm interested in the declipping function and I can see that it's working by looking at the input v. output during playback of a .wav file. I also hear the "processed by Stereo Tool" message encouraging me to purchase and register. So far, so good.

Still, when I click "render" in Wavelab, I get the same pop up windows. Wavelab tells me that a "serious error has occurred" inside Stereo Tool. This doesn't crash either Wavelab or Stereo Tool, but the audio doesn't render, either.

I'm happy to provide input about the Beta, and maybe that should be in another thread? But for the moment, I do see something odd. In the Audio I/O settings, there was no ASIO device set. Maybe that's OK? Similarly, the plugin output on the Audio I/O settings page is set to "Send to Winamp Silence" which I would happily change to something that makes more sense, but none of the choices sounds like "send the output back to where it came from after processing it" which is what I'd want.

After I start to render and Wavelab reports a crash, the input bar on the Audio I/O page is pegged at 100% even with no audio playing in Wavelab, and the output bar keeps moving around. There is ongoing CPU usage -- Stereo Tool reports between 15% and 25% use -- even though there's no render in progress. Wavelab also reports CPU use. Even when I uinload Stereo Tool, Wavelab continues to report CPU use even though I'm not asking it to do anything. So I think I concur with Wavelab's error message: it seems like Stereo Tool is still functioning after the crash message appears, and has to be terminated by terminating Wavelab.

Thanks, and I hope this is helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:23 pm 

Don't bother playing with the I/O section. Try saving your preset, then doing a factory reset, then loading only the processing and repair sections.

I'm also getting an error when committing the render, but not with playback. It doesn't show any errors in Stereo Tool or the web interface log. I'm also noticing weird sizing issues that harken back to OBS's sizing hell.

I'm about to try the VST2 version and hope that works. Will report back.

EDIT: Ah HA!! It doesn't crash when I use the VST2 64 bit version. Just the VST3 64 bit version. Play around with that one perhaps.

I'll link this thread in the beta thread and try to report what's happening.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:41 pm 

Confirming that VST2 x64 renders OK. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

The resizing issue should be solved now. I'm looking into the rendering issue now; it reproduces here so that should be easy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Ugh. Well I know now WHY it fails, but fixing it is a whole different story. VST3 is kinda horrible - I found dozens of posts of people with the same issue and not a single decent solution.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

It looks like it's working now. I'll run a build tonight - I just hope I didn't break anything else. This solution feels a bit hacky (not so much in our code, but in Steinbergs library, and they actually advise against using it).