All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:59 pm 

Quote:
Hi,
here is sample of real sound Optimod Orban 8100A with transmitter Tesla BZ-91:
http://minolta1.cninet.cz/ORBAN/
dat uncontrolled bass :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:26 am 

While I still really like the sound, it's nice to compare to my setup of Stereo Tool and realize I'm not that far off.... and my highs are WAY more open (perhaps because of a lack of FM pre-emphasis).

I still wish I had high-quality recordings of what Z100 in New York was doing in the 80s. I've heard they were using Texar Audio Prizims into an 8100. The claim is they didn't use the XT2 limiter chassis, which I find hard to believe...

Thanks for sharing this file!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:51 pm 

At one time Z100 used a an Aphex Dominator modified by Frank Foti and he called it the Vigilante.
Stations used black magic boxes called Banshee and modified Behringer boxes. Most stations kept
it secret for obvious reasons. But I dont think Z100 ever used a XT2. Iirc Z100 used the Glen Clark card
in slot 5 of the 8100. That card packed some heat both in sound and temp,some stations ran it with the front off the 8100.It was the Blue Cobalt card,best I remember.Even today a refurb 8100,caps and chips with a pair of nicely tuned Prisms will sound amazing .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:30 am 

I remember seeing ads for the Vigilante! I never (knowingly) heard it, but I assume it was pretty amazing.

I remember hearing about the Blue Cobalt card too, although I never fully understood what it was supposed to do other than "change the behavior" of the 8100.

I'm wondering if part of the "sound" I'm remembering and missing is slamming into the analog limiters and clippers... the last thing I assume I would want to do on a data-reduced internet stream.

Oh, to be able to play with some Prizims and Optimods!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:05 am 

Hi Blacklightradio,

Is there a way to post or send your processing sts file? I would be interested in using it to see how it sounds on my system, thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:53 am 

I keep messing with what I'm doing in Stereo Tool and how I'm doing it... and I doubt I'm any closer to the 8100 / XT2 sound... but I like my current sound. (Tomorrow I'll hate it.) ;-)

Seriously, if there's a month you remember liking how BlackLight Radio sounded, let me know! Chances are I have a preset from that month. I currently have a folder with dozens of presets... some with small tweaks, some with complete revamps.

Here's this week's settings:https://mega.nz/#!oewnTJIA!NKvCKoF2gYf3 ... zqnuFFo_V0.

The EQ is based on media calculation... which will be the source of my next question / post.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:09 pm 

This is what I have been working on for a few months. Just by reading the manual and reading online resources I tried to duplicate the Optimod 8100 XT2 architecture.

E.g.
Bass EQ = EQ between multibands
Density of bands in the MB2 (limiting and clipping) is used to get the brilliance and presence
Coupling of band 1-2 on MB1 one is used for the bass coupling.
Gate Threshold it the gate on MB1

All the crossovers and shelving has been copied from the manual and online resources.

Only thing that is different (and yes I know Stereo Tool IS NOT THE SAME, just having a fun time duplicating) is the advanced clipper. I tried to use the AutoEQ to emulate the auto eq on the limiters but didn't like it (yet)

What do you think? Anything that is not correct? I think it gives a pretty decent sound.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApAW11tenPiUq7lA60xI5E8mmRP_zw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:10 am 

It's a very clean sound! Very well put together.

I did notice that it wasn't as consistent from source to source as I would like, but I suspect that could be corrected if I increased my input level.

Nice work! I'd say this is a very good job.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:44 pm 

Quote:
It's a very clean sound! Very well put together.

I did notice that it wasn't as consistent from source to source as I would like, but I suspect that could be corrected if I increased my input level.

Nice work! I'd say this is a very good job.
One thing you will need to get the 80's sound you are looking for TUBES ... you need to in to soon tube leveler to get the sound you need. The one thing every one is overlooking is back then
we all used tube transmitters. Nice a rounded warm sound is called tubes !!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:12 pm 

I remember hearing about the Vigilante, based on his modifications at Z100, but never knowingly heard it on-air... I imagine it was spectacular! I was always surprised he was going with a 3-band peak limiter instead of a 6 (well, 5) band limiter, but again he obviously had his reasons, and it worked for the time.

I bet the Aural Exciter was the Aphex version that was so hot at the time. I remember hearing a demo in a sound booth of the Aural Exciter and was shocked and impressed (they used cassettes for background tracks for performers, and rolled off the highs before feeding it back to the Exciter which returned the upper end), but I haven't had access to one in almost 30 years and the DSP versions I've tried just sound like they're adding noise.

As I remember, Aphex at the time was promoting the "pure" processing chain of the Compellor into the Aural Exciter, then into the Dominator. Don't know how many stations used it, but I'm sure it was smooth.

...I'm continuing to listen to your preset while I type, and now that my ears have adjusted a bit, it does remind me a bit of the local top 40 I worked at... VERY gritty, but the density and dynamic impact does remind me quite a bit of the Prisms into the 8100 & XT2. You're gotten a lot closer than I have! Perhaps I can back some things off on this preset and get closer to what I want for streaming... This is certainly a screamer!!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next