All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:49 am 

Quote:
Alex, I like that!

Lots of pumpy, bright, tight sound... a pretty good imitation of some of the 80s processing I heard without it being "nailed to the wall." That's good for the encoders which need SOME breathing room to figure out what to keep and what to throw away.

Looking through the settings, some of them duplicate what my ear has told me to do here; others seem so counter-intuitive... but I can't argue with the sound! I love being surprised like this.

It's impressive to me that you're getting this consistent a sound with only 4 bands... and the crossover points aren't at ALL what I would have expected. Again, if it works, I can't knock it! :lol:

Thanks for sharing this! I keep tweaking my sound, learning from you guys, and I don't know if I'll end up with an 80s Top 40 sound or not, but whatever I do, I'll share it here... and I think it may be getting close to time for me to do so.

I still have so much to learn!!!
Topic is old but are you still using this preset for your station?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:25 am 

I'm not, actually; I've been using a preset I brewed myself.

I don't think we can attach files in the forum, but if you'd like to hear my "work in progress" shoot me a PM. I don't guarantee it sounds like an Optimod, but I think it is a retro, dense, analog sound if that's what you're looking for.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:14 pm 

Hi guys, I really appriciate if you can help me on this post : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6220

It talked about old french radio station with amazing analog sound...

Thanks for your help,

Dylan.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:56 am 

Quote:

I don't think we can attach files in the forum, but if you'd like to hear my "work in progress" shoot me a PM. I don't guarantee it sounds like an Optimod, but I think it is a retro, dense, analog sound if that's what you're looking for.
Hi Blacklightradio,

For some time, i try to set ST to get similar sound of Optimud... But i give up! This software is nowhere near Optimod in sound processing... Optimod is life, is breath taking, ST it's like a cloudy day! No life in sound whatsoever!

I'll not buy anymore of this crappy soft... I'll return to my good old Optimod FM 8100A, IT ROCKS!!!

Optimod ROCKS!

€ 429.27 is what hvz is asking for the full version of ST. For that price, plus the price of a multicore PC to run this piece of crap, i can buy a Optimod!!! Why stick with crap, when you can get the holy grale???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:41 am 

Make sure if you use a 8100A it's been refurbed with new chips, caps and PS. The old TL072 chips just don't cut it today. Nothing wrong with ST at all.Maybe just maybe you don't have a clue what you're doing.The newer Orban products sound good.8600 S rocks but that is probably way out of you skimpy budget.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:36 am 

Quote:
For some time, i try to set ST to get similar sound of Optimud...
Yes, "Optimud" seems like a good description.
Quote:
I'll not buy anymore of this crappy soft... I'll return to my good old Optimod FM 8100A, IT ROCKS!!!
If you can't get a great sound from Stereo Tool, it doesn't mean it's ST's fault. There are many, many settings in there (way more than on your Optimod I'd say). If you don't know what you're doing, then yes, your sound will be terrible.

Also, you can't expect any digital processor to sound just like your analog box.
Quote:
Why stick with crap, when you can get the holy grale???
Good point, but for me ST would be the holy grail, not the Optimod. It's a matter of taste I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:18 am 

Quote:
Make sure if you use a 8100A it's been refurbed with new chips, caps and PS. The old TL072 chips just don't cut it today.
Nothing new in there, i'm an electronics engineer for more than 20 years, i've serviced more than 1000 of this devices...
Quote:

Nothing wrong with ST at all.Maybe just maybe you don't have a clue what you're doing.
Maybe you don't have feeling for in air sound... Maybe...
Quote:
The newer Orban products sound good.8600 S rocks but that is probably way out of you skimpy budget.
Probably you shouldn't write stupid things!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:29 am 

Quote:

Yes, "Optimud" seems like a good description.
If you never made a mistake, you're perfect...
Quote:
If you can't get a great sound from Stereo Tool, it doesn't mean it's ST's fault. There are many, many settings in there (way more than on your Optimod I'd say). If you don't know what you're doing, then yes, your sound will be terrible.
I never said ST is fault. Yes there are many settings(i know, i have eyes...). Maybe you are right, maybe i don't know what is a sound processor... Ooohhh wait, i've been working with sound processors and processing chains since 1980... It's enough for you???
Quote:
Also, you can't expect any digital processor to sound just like your analog box.
Yes, but if you read the all thread, i was only responding to Blacklightradio... I don't know why you're pissed off??? Is someone paying you to defend ST???
Quote:
Good point, but for me ST would be the holy grail, not the Optimod. It's a matter of taste I guess.
You really don't know what sound processing means...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:21 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Blacklightradio,

For some time, i try to set ST to get similar sound of Optimud... But i give up! This software is nowhere near Optimod in sound processing... Optimod is life, is breath taking, ST it's like a cloudy day! No life in sound whatsoever!

Optimod ROCKS!

€ 429.27 is what hvz is asking for the full version of ST. For that price, plus the price of a multicore PC to run this piece of crap, i can buy a Optimod!!! Why stick with crap, when you can get the holy grale???

In my opinion the strength of the 8100 is the limited number of adjustments.

I think Stereo Tool has the potential to be better than the optimod but it does take some work.

The 8100 I run has been recapped and realigned. I left the op amps alone as I think the stockers work well and wanted to hear a recap alone. I spent a lot of time replacing ceramic .1uf bypass caps with 1uf poly caps.

I can tell you our stream with ST has better HF vs the Optimod. ST however doesn't have to deal with preemphasis though.

I like ST in front of the Optimod as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:27 pm 

Hi,
here is sample of real sound Optimod Orban 8100A with transmitter Tesla BZ-91:
http://minolta1.cninet.cz/ORBAN/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next