All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:56 am 

My pleasure; glad you like it!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:53 am 

Blacklightradio,

Do you have any suggestions for slightly increasing the bass (<80 hz) output of this preset, while not affecting the higher-frequency bands? I'm trying to achieve a sound similar to WiLD 94.9 in San Francisco, and your preset comes very close, but just needs a bit more bass. Whenever I attempt to adjust the lower frequencies, it seems that the entire spectrum responds to the compression of the bass bands.

Here's a stream link if that helps. http://www.iheart.com/live/WILD-949-305 ... rs=kyld-fm

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:58 am 

I haven't had a chance to listen to the link yet, but there are two places you could boost the bass without causing too much trouble, I would think:

#1, under "Bass Boost." I'm using all default settings. You could increase the strength from 100% to 300% and the maximum bass peak level to 250%. I'm not hearing much difference, but it might give you the punch you're looking for. Increasing "Maximum boost from 0 up to" 70 Hz can give you some real kick, too.

#2, under "Multiband"-->"Levels" and either boost the mix on the bottom few frequencies, or slowly roll off the highs a bit. This can affect the processing sound because it affects how it hits the clipper, but it shouldn't cause too many problems.

Hans and Bojcha may have more and likely better suggestions, but the above is where I would start.

Hope this helps!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:51 am 

Increasing the "Maximum boost" parameter to 70 Hz did the trick! In fact, I had to reduce the strength a bit. :lol: Don't know how I overlooked that one.

This preset is now damn near perfect for my CHR/Rhythmic format. :) Thanks again for your help!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:44 am 

My pleasure! It makes me feel good to know my preset is making others sound good, too. :)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:45 pm 

BlackLightRadio, I too, like your preset. I'll be putting some stuff on air soon that uses it; my one change was to adjust for mono conversion as my Live365 station is a tribute to WABC. I love the way Stereo Tool does mono conversion as it allows me to play a boatload of 1960s and 1970s tracks for which stereo mixes are the only mixes available. I'm a convert from the other leading processing software. You probably know what I mean.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:59 pm 

MAN your preset is DENSE... but oddly quite pleasing. Nicely done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:27 am 

WENE Fan and SilentGloves, thanks so much for your kind words! After listening to the legends over the years craft outstanding setting combinations (and in the digital era, presets), it is extremely flattering to think I may be able to help add to a station's "signature sound."

If you're not really interested in my listening history and what inspired me to create the sound I did, you can stop reading now. ;)

I grew up in the United States in the 1970s listening to powerhouse AMs like 890 WLS from Chicago and 1120 KMOX from St. Louis. Locally we had two 50 kw powerhouses (740 KRMG and 1170 KVOO) and two big top 40s (970 KAKC and 1430 KELI). These stations used processors from companies like Dorrough, CRL, and of course Orban.

By the 1980s FM was the dominate band for music, and the loudness / density wars didn't stop. In 1989 and 1990 I worked at a local "hot rockin', flame throwin'" Rock 40 station called Z-104.5. It was there I became intimately familiar with the sound of the Texar Audio Prisms fed hot into an Orban Optimod 8100 with a XT/2 limiter chassis on top, driven hard.

About the same time, a local station resurrected KAKC's 1960s-era top 40 sound on 1300 with, I'm pretty sure, an era-appropriate CBS Audimax followed by a Volumax... it was loudness accomplished solely with broadband compression, and amazingly musical for as dense as it was. I listened for hours to try to understand what I was hearing the processing do.

My most recent job in broadcast radio was for a local AM station owner who is also a brilliant engineer. He programmed 60s / 70s, and used an Optimod 9100. Although not a big fan of multiband compression, he got a sound that pleased him and impressed me.

I'm such a huge fan of multiband compression that it's taken me a while to realize that part of the sound I've loved over the years has been the density of a good wideband compressor.

Today's processing attitudes tend to be "never let the listener hear you sweat," minimal AGC and tremendous clipping, but I'm a big believer that an audio processor, set up right, should let you hear things in your music you hadn't noticed when you played the CD.

I played cello in orchestra at school for six years, so I also try to make sure attacks and releases are plausible to the human ear: Attack times shouldn't create "jumps" in the audio, but they should enhance the percussive elements of the song. Release times should rise quickly enough for the ear to track, but not "slam" the volume up and make you afraid of how much louder the volume might rise.

Hopefully, the result is a sound that you want to turn UP instead of DOWN... and from your response, it sounds like I may have succeeded. 8-)

Thanks again for the encouragement! If there are any suggestions, let me know and I'll see what I can whip up.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:38 pm 

Actually, I enjoyed reading what you wrote.

And the same goes for me, if you don't care to read on, no problem.

I started listening to Top 40 radio in 1973, the stations I tuned into were WNBF 1290 AM in Binghamton, New York, and WENE 1430 AM in Endwell, New York. Both still on-air but with vastly different formats these days. WENE, at that time, was owned by the late Merv Griffin and the station's sound was first class all the way. To my ears, there is nothing sweeter sounding than really well processed AM radio in mono, and as I've stated before here, I'm a convert from Breakaway. I won't go into any further detail as this isn't the place for that.

I'm in the middle of changing the format of my Live365 station and will post a link in a day or two.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:55 pm 

Great and interesting history! I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next