All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:13 pm 

I make a recording using Kristal Audio as a multitracker and save the file as a wave file. I play the wave file through winamp with Stereo Tool on and record that output directly in another recorder (not Waveosaur, but another one someone suggested; I don't have it here tho) so I now have a processed wave. I can see the waveform in the new track all beautifully level. So now I take that file and I want to play it back on a laptop into a PA. Now I have been doing this wrong and if you have been following other posts you will know I tried to export the wav file on an audio cd. I can put that right now, thanks to you chaps.

Well, anyway I have at least a CD with the songs on that have had the Stereo Tools treatment on the front end. Now I want to play them back on Winamp through Stereo Tools and an EQ (although I now have the correct dlls and junk and stuff to do it properly) and it goes from the laptop into a pretty old Peavey mixer into a pretty violent Crest Audio 700-watt beast into a pair of JBL 12" floor monitors at 4-Ohms

Problem 1 is that winamp keeps crashing, but that could be solved by another post if I get my plugins loaded right.

Problem 2 is that it could be crashing because I am accessing the CD and not a winamp playlist on my hard drive (also probably solved my a kind and patient lister)

Problem 3 is a "real" cd or even an MP3 sounds killer through this new Crest, but when I try to play back my stuff (and gosh, yes I understand the difference between a real pro recording and my piddling attempts) I can get some decently musical sounds but I have absolutely NO frickin kickdrum even using Stereo Tool. I tend to get a sort-of cracking sound, as if the CD itself is skipping (which it could be; they are all shite IMHO, but I'm wondering if it's because I have Stereo Tool on both ends of this recording and it's now just compressed to death. Then Winamp freezes up anyway, so we have to go home. To our wives. Late.
Thanks
Phil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:20 am 
Site Admin

Wow - don't use Stereo Tool twice on the same data! Especially the Loudness filter should NOT be used multiple times in a row - you'll get a lot of distortion if you do that. If you set the Loudness to x 4.00 in both versions, you effectively get x 16.00 - and there's a reason why that option isn't available if you use a single Stereo Tool :shock: ...

For the loudest result, use Stereo Tool at the end of the chain - and only there.

Also, how is the bass without Stereo Tool? By using the Loudness filter you _will_ loose some dynamics, which means that loud sounds (kick-drums) will become softer. In your case, you should only use the Loudness filter to get rid of short spikes in the signal, if you use too much of it you'll loose much of the dynamics of your sound. Which might be ok for FM radio transmissions (all the big stations do this), but definitely not for live performances.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:04 am 

Hi
Sorry for delay replying. Thank you for tips. I may or may not have used double loudness filters, but it's likely. I find it strange though because the loudness filter on my car stereo whomps that kick drum front and center.
I will re-record files as WAV without stereo tool, then export the data files to laptop and only use ST on output to board
Thanks
Phil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:23 am 
Site Admin

Woo-hoo!

Loudness in Stereo Tool only makes the sound LOUDER.

Loudness on a car stereo boosts bass and highs. That's a completely different thing!