All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Declipper trial
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:05 am 

I must say I'm very impressed with the results from the declipper tool, though I'm concerned because I've come to discover that I get inconsistent results when running the process multiple times on the same range of audio without changing any settings. I'm running the VST through Audition 3.01 and using maximum quality settings.

Now, I'm aware of the beeps and the advertisement, but is there some sort of other random unannounced quality hindrance with the trial version? If not, can you explain why I can't get the same results every time?

Post subject: Re: Declipper trial
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:34 am 
Site Admin

The only thing I can think of is that the audio is processed in chunks. If you run the same file multiple times, the splitting in chunks may be different (internally it's all a stream of samples, so if the number of samples in a file doesn't match a whole number of chunks this may happen).

For the VST version, many hosts run a separate processor instance for each file they process, and then this doesn't occur anymore.

Is the problem that you see/measure that the files are different, or do you actually hear a difference?

(O, and after a beep the declipper is turned off for about 2 seconds.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:56 am 

I can't say I can hear a difference, but the difference in the waveform is pretty evident.

Is it fair to say that this process of "processing in chunks" simplified the process? If so, why would this happen at the maximum quality setting?

I'm not sure what you mean by processor instances, but I do know I had the multicore option enabled if that means anything as I have a quadcore processor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 am 
Site Admin

If I would not optimize the quality might be slightly better - and the CPU load would increase by a factor 2000 :shock: . So that's not really an option for the next 10 years or so.

By the 'instances' I mean that many VST hosts restart a plugin (or load it again) whenever you start to process a file. In that case, the output should always be identical. If the instance (loaded copy) is kept for the next processing as well, it can be different. It should not sound different though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:21 am 

So then calling it "Perfect" is a bit of a stretch?

haha I'm just busting your balls. I haven't seen declipping results that come close to this anywhere. I can honestly say I am amazed with the results. I am very tempted to pull the trigger and buy it, but the current price tag will keep me from doing so for the time being. (The purchasing power of the USD sucks! :P) Let me know if and when it goes on sale and I might just have to take advantage of it!

Thanks for the responses.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:24 am 
Site Admin

LOL, well, the name "Perfect" means that, within each block it processes, it generates a solution for the samples that are flagged as 'clipped' that approaches the "mathematically optimal" ('perfect') solution.

But indeed, I said "within each block".

About the price: You may want to read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4033

If you have any ideas for a limited lower price solution, please let me know...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:10 pm 

Well right now what I'm looking to do with it is to process select individual tracks with the declipper and save the result as 24-bit FLAC. It seems you are only targeting streamers/broadcasters in your discussions about licensing, so how about a license for this kind of use where the ads or whatever come up after, say, 15 minutes of use? A license which could easily and reasonably be upgraded later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:11 pm 

Nothing more then 3 minutes which is bit less then avarage lenght of track.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:16 pm 

If that were made available then why would i buy that license? I can already de facto process an entire song without one by incrementing, the idea here is to support the developer AND make me happy in the process!