All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Automatic Gain Control
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:44 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I am somewhat new to Stereo Tool, but I really enjoy it so far! The one thing I am having trouble with is the AGC settings - raise band 2 above band 1, keep band 1 at band 2, etc. My goal is to have the sound similar to that of a pop radio station. Can someone help me out with this? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:25 am 

I'm also wondering if should use the singleband limiter to achieve this - can someone help me understand how the singleband limiter works? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome,

Every station has a completely different sound, so it's very difficult without having more information to answer your question (that's probably why nobody replied so far).

What do you want? Constant level? Pumping? Bad quality highs :-) ? Distortion? (I'm guessing that you don't want most of these, maybe pumping but definitely not the last 2).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:00 am 

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up - I guess I forgot to mention those details. My goal is the most constant volume possible, but to have it sound like it is hardly compressed at all...if that makes sense! I don't mind some pumping, but I can do without poor quality highs and distortion :) Right now I have very strict settings everywhere, but I am still confused as to the purpose and function of the 3-band AGC and singleband limiter, and if either or both of these will help me acheive the sound I am looking for. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:07 am 
Site Admin

Ok, so you _don't_ want to sound like most radio stations :D . Because most of them sound really crappy.

Well, for your purpose the AGC is the most important part. Add to that a bit of Multiband (to make the frequency content more constant), and maybe a clipper (I wouldn't use the singleband thing because that causes pumping, use the Final Limiter or Loudness combined with HARD LIMIT instead).

For an explanation of the AGC, see http://help.stereotool.com/6.00/automat ... agc_.shtml

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:51 am 

Thanks!! I will try that. My other question about the singleband and final limiters, is there more limiting being done at lower amplification values or higher? In other words, is it stricter when you move the slider to the left or right from 1.00? I am using AGC right now, I am just not sure how to find appropriate settings for the 3 bands. I have experimented with varying values for each, but it all sounds the same to me. Except when I move the slider for band 3 lower than about 20%...I can notice that :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thanks!! I will try that. My other question about the singleband and final limiters, is there more limiting being done at lower amplification values or higher? In other words, is it stricter when you move the slider to the left or right from 1.00? I am using AGC right now, I am just not sure how to find appropriate settings for the 3 bands. I have experimented with varying values for each, but it all sounds the same to me. Except when I move the slider for band 3 lower than about 20%...I can notice that :D
Hm, the idea is that it _should_ sound the same - if the AGC behaves nicely you shouldn't hear it working.

You can look at the displayed bars to see how much reduction of the input signal is done. Lower = more reduction. If they are full, the output is identical to the input.

Basically, if a sudden loud kick comes in you want the volume to be lowered, but not too much (if it's just a single loud kick you don't want everything to be a lot softer afterwards). But it must go down fast enough so you don't get loud spikes. Something similar is the case for up speed: If the sound is soft you want the volume to go up, fast enough to catch up within a decent time and slow enough to be not too noticeable.

In AGC, try setting both up and down speed to very high values, then increase the input level (oh - did you do that? Pre Amp in the main window! Otherwise the whole AGC will probably do nothing at all!). This should make things a lot clearer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:31 pm 

Ok great! I have the up and down speeds on the AGC set very high and the sound is a little more towards what I am looking for. I am still a little confused as to how to configure the 3 band sliders - keep band 1 at band 2 level, etc. I'm also trying to figure out if lower or amplification values for the singleband and final limiter are stricter - or is it the higher values?