All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:50 am 

Hi all, new here, investigating Stereotool for use by our community radio station. In the U.S. there is a group of FM Public Radio stations commonly referred to as "NPR" -- National Public Radio. They are mostly talk shows, with excellent engineering and generally great sound. I know a lot of that is microphones and careful production, we do what we can with the equipment we can afford. I see that Stereotool comes with many many presets to try, all seem to be targeted at music. I am wondering if anyone has experience tailoring the sound for talk? Looking to get that firm, rich, clear NPR sound. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:19 pm 

I came across this article the other day. It might help solve this for you: https://current.org/2015/06/a-top-audio ... ure-sound/

I haven't read it in its entirety or tried anything, so I don't have a preset to share.
Quote:
Current: Are there any other elements of the secret sauce that you haven’t revealed yet, or are those things that you will take to the grave?

Fox: Well, speaking to the public radio community, one of the things that we don’t do is process our signal heading to the stations. We keep it as pure as possible. This has been up for some debate for the longest time, but as we currently stand we don’t compress; we don’t alter our signal leaving the studio to the satellite and hitting the stations.

We know that our over 600 stations and all their listeners have different needs. So we try to give the purest sound to the stations so that they can manipulate it for their market, with varying degrees of success. We have talked about, especially with our newscast unit, maybe starting to slide a little bit of compression into that. We haven’t done it yet, and I don’t know if we will, but giving that pure signal via the satellite to our stations is probably the last element to the sauce.
This is from 7 years ago, however.

edit: I know some podcasts that have amazing sound use multiband AGCs like the Ariane leveler. The AGC in ST can do up to 4 bands, but they don't have default settings for the bands yet. I recommend using 25, 250, 1000, 10000 for the bands and playing with the levels and attack/release of the bands. The window and dynamic attack/release seems important too. Maybe the sudden drop protection.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:30 pm 

Cool -- so NPR uses their good mics with high pass filtering and good studio acoustics and talent is shown how to work the mics then, as the article says, the pieces are sent out without any further processing to the stations. Presumably it's at the stations where the final massaging of the sound occurs. I clearly have some work cut out for me to dial in the sound we want for our talk shows. Thank you!