All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:32 am 

Hi all, still reasonably new to StereoTool.

I've noticed when I listen to an FM preset (doesn't seem to matter which one), direct from a soundcard into a stereo system it sounds bright and clear. However, when I use the same stereo system to listen on FM (even with the FM clipper on), it sounds much worse than the stream. "Heady" might be the word to describe the sound coming from the TX.

I should add that the sound from the stream comes from a different PC to what powers the FM TX.

The PC that feeds the stereo system has a sound blaster card installed, whereas the TX PC only uses the internal onboard card.

I suspect the biggest part of the problem will be the onboard card the TX is using? What other issues might be causing this?

Cheers,
Baldrick

Last edited by baldrick_nz on Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:09 am 

Quote:

I've noticed when I listen to an FM preset (doesn't seem to matter which one), direct from a soundcard into a stereo system it sounds bright and clear. However, when I use the same stereo system to listen on FM (even with the FM clipper on), it sounds much worse than the stream. "Heady" might be the word to describe the sound coming from the TX.

I should add that the sound from the stream comes from a different PC to what powers the FM TX.

The PC that feeds the stereo system has a sound blaster card installed, whereas the TX PC only uses the internal onboard card.

I suspect the biggest part of the problem will be the onboard card the TX is using? What other issues might be causing this?

Cheers,
Baldrick
fm audio goes up to 16.000hz while streaming can go up to 20.000 on lossless codecs. Besides that, yes a bad sound card can cause bad fm audio. Which sound card you are using?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:55 am 

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers,
Baldrick
fm audio goes up to 16.000hz while streaming can go up to 20.000 on lossless codecs. Besides that, yes a bad sound card can cause bad fm audio. Which sound card you are using?
Thanks for answering.

So, we're using the internal sound card that's integrated into the motherboard on the PC that feeds the TX. It's a RealTek card that delivers 192k/16k audio. I currently use ASIO4ALL installed as well.

I suspect it needs a fairly decent USB sound card to improve the sound. Or maybe a audio interface, but I wouldn't know how to hook one of those up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:15 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers,
Baldrick
Thanks for answering.

So, we're using the internal sound card that's integrated into the motherboard on the PC that feeds the TX. It's a RealTek card that delivers 192k/16k audio. I currently use ASIO4ALL installed as well.

I suspect it needs a fairly decent USB sound card to improve the sound. Or maybe a audio interface, but I wouldn't know how to hook one of those up.

Go for a behringer umc202hd 192khz.

The internal audio card that you have right now is a no go.

For the behringer you input audio from the front 2 xlr and you get the out from the back for the mpx (left channel)

It gets power from the usb

Don’t use asio4all it creates more problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:46 am 

Thanks again for your reply.

You say...

"For the behringer you input audio from the front 2 xlr and you get the out from the back for the mpx (left channel). It gets power from the usb."

So where does the Behringer plug into on the PC to get the audio from stereotool? If the input of the Behringer plugs into the audio out (that we're already using) of the PC, how would that help, because aren't we still using the internal inbuilt sound card?

With our set up, we have a PC at our TX site which receives audio via HTTP (VLC) via StereoTool. The output of which plugs directly into the MPX input of our TX. So, for this to work, we'd need the Behringer to accept audio through USB (as an external card would) and then the output of that would feed the TX.

Does not the audio in to the Behringer come in through the USB from the PC and then Behringer acts as a sound card, sending the processed MPX signal to the left output on the Behringer?

I hope that makes sense.

Does the Behringer have it's own ASIO drivers to install?

Cheers,
Baldrick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:19 am 

Quote:
Thanks again for your reply.

You say...

"For the behringer you input audio from the front 2 xlr and you get the out from the back for the mpx (left channel). It gets power from the usb."

So where does the Behringer plug into on the PC to get the audio from stereotool? If the input of the Behringer plugs into the audio out (that we're already using) of the PC, how would that help, because aren't we still using the internal inbuilt sound card?

With our set up, we have a PC at our TX site which receives audio via HTTP (VLC) via StereoTool. The output of which plugs directly into the MPX input of our TX. So, for this to work, we'd need the Behringer to accept audio through USB (as an external card would) and then the output of that would feed the TX.

Does not the audio in to the Behringer come in through the USB from the PC and then Behringer acts as a sound card, sending the processed MPX signal to the left output on the Behringer?

I hope that makes sense.

Does the Behringer have it's own ASIO drivers to install?

Cheers,
Baldrick
Check this video. https://youtu.be/bmGLtJtHxek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:38 am 

Quote:

Check this video. https://youtu.be/bmGLtJtHxek
Thanks xristostsilis!

I've got my scarlett 2i2 working (it was sitting idle doing nothing atm) using the guide in the link. I'll need to borrow an oscilloscope from someone at some point to check the tilt/modulation. But sounds pretty good atm.

I'll buy a Behringer when I need to call the 2i2 back into service. ;-)

Thanks again.

Baldrick