All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:26 pm 

Hi there, :)

I use RadioBoss as broadcasting software for my internet radio station and Stereo Tool as processing plugin. I play pop/rock music and have news once every hour. I have the basic and the declipper licence and have found good presets which I tweaked to my liking. Everything is fine - except for speech.

When listened to at higher volume my radio programm "screams" the spoken word news and some jingles also. The spoken word is processed too loud. My observation with professional radio stations is that speech is always a little bit lower (!) than pop/rock music, so that the enouncement of a song is lower in volume than the song itself. Same goes for news programs. Music is a little bit louder than speech, isn't it?

Is there a way to tell Stereo Tool to treat speech different than music AGC-wise? Or maybe compression-wise? Or can I define an ID3 tag that Stereo Tool reads to lower the volume of that tag? I am not sure whether a "Speech detection" licence could help with this loudness related problem.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you!

Yours, Heinzruhm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:41 pm 

First try to use standalone ST. Also apparently that preset is not so good then. Classic thing, you always think you tuned everything, all nice, and then some track badly surprise you, or in your case speech. Probably contribute that jingles and pre-recorded speech is overprocessed, there you cannot do much but to try to 'teach' the people how to record things. Good processing can handle some of it but never fully. There is speech section in ST, but i personally never use it once i tried it.

Send me your preset, if you want, i'll check it, also i can also send you to test my last preset meanwhile.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:05 pm 

Hey Bojcha,
thank you so much for answering me. I am honoured to get an answer of one ofe the geniuses of Stereo Toll, great :) You know what? I figured out that the problem might not be within Stereo Tool, but within my broadcasting software Radioboss. I found out that there I can use different categories such as "News" or "Jingles" and assign different amplification in dB. I think I assigned wrong amplification values. After a little tweaking I managed to get the levels right now. Thus Stereo Tool can work as it should - even as plugin -, and the sound is wonderful.
Thanks again for your offer of help. Nice to know that this forum (in which I am a newbie) is dedicated to really help! All the best! Bye...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:39 am 

I also use RadioBoss. I've turned down the jingles and ads from RadioBoss. By 6 db.
StereoTool's AGC still pushes them up, by a lot. Maybe Sudden Jump protection can help in this situation.
Gonna attach my current settings. Something is not quite right though.
Can you guys recommend an AGC / Sudden Jump setting?
Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:12 pm 

Quote:
I also use RadioBoss. I've turned down the jingles and ads from RadioBoss. By 6 db.
StereoTool's AGC still pushes them up, by a lot. Maybe Sudden Jump protection can help in this situation.
I personally cannot, sorry. However, The ST 10.01 beta thread (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33391) has the new MB1 Adaptive Compressor available for testing. New technology is coming to the compressors and AGC and it sounds so much better than the previous Water Pressure-based algorithm of the Analog mode. It'll be a bit before it's out of beta, but this issue is going to be solved soon. https://www.thimeo.com/blog/beta-testin ... ompressor/

Apparently, the new GUI is likely coming out of beta before the new Adaptive compressors will. I know it's not wise to put a beta processor on-air and for good reason. However, you can still learn and experience the upcoming stuff off the air.

However, I can suggest trying the input 2/BIMP for jingles since it has its own processing. I don't personally use this feature, nor do I stream on-air.

Best of luck!

edit: Oh, are Jingles always monaural by chance? If so, you can use the Speech Detector and have the AGC lower its threshold up to -6db while the speech is being detected. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:55 am 

This sounds very promising. Will give the Beta version a go.
Thank you!