All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:14 pm 

Hi

I have a bit of a problem I need advice about. I have a podcast that is also a streaming radio show. It uses UAD with a brickwall limiter and some eq. The sound that comes out of it is good. Then it gets fed into the broadcast processor, Thimeo StereoTool.

The audioquality of the station ids and the music is great, but my voice seems a bit overprocessed and distorted.

Here is an example with my voice and the compression.

StereoTool processed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDhSf-I5FE4&t=2454s

The original sound with only the UAD processing:
https://radio.ericade.net/files/UAD_Pre ... miting.wav

So, any idea as how to lessen the distorsion/processing and still keep the station around -12 - -13 dB LUFS?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:26 am 

Seems everyone likes to add that EQ to already good mic, it's so bad to my ears, especially highs, but i guess that is just trend the everyone accepted. Add limiter to that and another full processing, so anything can happen on end.
Idk on what preset you are on ST, Some filters knows to have very strange artifacts, but in this configuration you want it to be very precise with ranges and attenuations on all filters. Also very light one.
You can try/start with mine preset StudioOne (-11LUFS version). Set range on AGC lower also set multiband density much lower, about half bars, disable TrueBass.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:46 pm 

First off, thanks for an insigthful reply. I will reply below.
Quote:
Seems everyone likes to add that EQ to already good mic, it's so bad to my ears, especially highs, but i guess that is just trend the everyone accepted.
This is an interesting thing you're saying. When I started doing radio, I came to the conclusion that I needed to add a bit of brightness around 5-8 KHz to fight off boxiness. But I've heard other people reasoning like you. I can totally get that the highs can sound shrill or unpleasant. And listening to my speech, it's a bit too bright. I will try another profile.
Quote:
Add limiter to that and another full processing, so anything can happen on end.
Try. But the limiting done by the UAD does not harm the audio imho. It's brings it to -16 dB LUFS, which is acceptable. The StereoTool does push it a bit, but I think your next advice is a bit of a clue:
Quote:
Idk on what preset you are on ST, Some filters knows to have very strange artifacts, but in this configuration you want it to be very precise with ranges and attenuations on all filters. Also very light one.
You can try/start with mine preset StudioOne (-11LUFS version). Set range on AGC lower also set multiband density much lower, about half bars, disable TrueBass.
Yes, I use a preset based on StudioOne, and it can probably be relaxed a bit. TrueBass should be off, I need to check that.

Will look into this. Thanks again for your time.