All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:12 am 

Even 20%, maybe I am using XH-data d-808 hooked to a home theater speaker? Do you need an audiophile receiver like Denon or audiophile headphones to hear the difference? Sounds ok for me without adjusting the treble and bass on the amplifier.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:19 pm 

Quote:
Even 20%, maybe I am using XH-data d-808 hooked to a home theater speaker? Do you need an audiophile receiver like Denon or audiophile headphones to hear the difference? Sounds ok for me without adjusting the treble and bass on the amplifier.
there are minute differences.
try playing a 30Hz sine wave tone and adjust the quality indicator to hear the difference, distortion will prevail at lower qualities.
additionally, with the quality level below 150%, you may see minor over-shoots in the final clipper.
for minor over-shoots, see example here > viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31701
also, the audio quality setting is AKA as the CPU load setting, a higher setting will provide more precise processing such as improved responsiveness of the AGC and the clipper as well as better sound quality.
now, if none of the above matters to you, then you can use a lower audio (CPU) setting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:00 pm 

The lower the latency setting (block size) the more important the quality (CPU) slider becomes. If you're at 4096, you shouldn't hear much distortion at lower frequencies for most of the slider. However, at 1024, you'll notice distortion with some filters at anything below 150%, depending on what effects you are using.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:11 pm 

Quote:
The lower the latency setting (block size) the more important the quality (CPU) slider becomes. If you're at 4096, you shouldn't hear much distortion at lower frequencies for most of the slider. However, at 1024, you'll notice distortion with some filters at anything below 150%, depending on what effects you are using.
based on my observations, i tend to believe that "150%" is actually 100% and 100% is actually 50%, and that Hans perhaps has designed the CPU adjustment with this in mind, as a method to reduce CPU use for older machines, which would make sense.
2048 blocks @ 150% seems to be the "sweet spot" for reduced latency while maintaining an identical sound quality of 4096 blocks.
im able to operate ST at 2048 blocks @ 150% on a laptop (from 2016) with minimum 20mS latency.
its an I7-7700K with 64GB of RAM averaging 4% CPU on 7 cores and 7 threads.