All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:00 am 

Greetings - I use ST for preprocessing only - declipping, stereo azimuth and low level correction, and there is no other processing (compression, limiting) being done. So, I keep 0dBFS at -12db (headroom), and allow for only 12dB (max) of declipping restoration. I have increased the sensitivity from 1020 (absolute minimum level for declipping) to about 500 in order to account for the -12dB input level.

However, I am wondering if declipping is more efficient at a higher input level, say -6dB? My observation is that declipping restoration on my content rarely approaches 6dB, even though I allow for 12. I can easily re-calibrate for -6dB input level and 6dB maximum restoration, if the declipper will work better at that level.

Thank you.
Larry S.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:55 am 

I remember Leif Claesson talking about UNDO (which uses the ST declipper) saying that you'll encounter peaks restored up to 18 dB, so it's best not to put the input up too high. I don't know enough about how the detection works with regard to volume; specifically how low is too low to detect clipping.