All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:58 pm 

Good morning guys.

WPWX-FM in Chicago has an Omnia.11 for FM and HD. I am NOT interested in trying to copy an Omnia.11's signature sound.

The sound texture appears to be highly compressed, quite punchy (probably from Omnia.11's bass effects), and not very loud. Most interestingly, the sound does not quickly lead to ear fatigue. When I try to reach these levels of compression with Stereo Tool, the bass punch is lost.

Here are two samples. If more are needed, I'd be happy to provide more.

SAMPLE 1
Original:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv0z520gtkgwa ... e.m4a?dl=0
Processed:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wasrtoq4unjqv ... l.m4a?dl=0

SAMPLE 2
Original:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v70z3cnj4vumx ... 9.m4a?dl=0
Processed:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nq6o8lyf1ib9l ... p.m4a?dl=0

I've spent months attempting to get this texture with no success.

I'd really appreciate any assistance with this.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:23 pm 

My ears hurts, mostly because crapy encoder/codec/bitrate you used, but also from processing wich is even not loud.

Next time use FLAC or wav and some decent recording level.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:38 pm 

Quote:
My ears hurts, mostly because crapy encoder/codec/bitrate you used, but also from processing wich is even not loud.

Next time use FLAC or wav and some decent recording level.
Bojcha,

These recordings were done from the HD stream. The encoding choice of WPWX is out of my control. But, I did NOT re-encode them--that is for certain.

Getting FLAC recordings would require having direct access to their Omnia.11's outputs which I do not have.

I hope you (or someone else) can still assist.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:45 pm 

Ahh.. i was thinking it's from FM Tuner. Yes, it sounds like O.11, noticing that 'smart' auto EQ MB-bands or whatever chameleon effect-ing. Never liked that.
Also in my book with that soft loudness level that much compression is wrong.
Apperently all this compression, bad codecs loud highs, etc, entered many brains last decades and can't leave, anytime soon.
Anyways, to answer question, no ST can't sound like that, for same reason Optimod does not sound like Wheatstone or Omnia or whatever and vice-versa.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:09 pm 

Quote:
Anyways, to answer question, no ST can't sound like that, for same reason Optimod does not sound like Wheatstone or Omnia or whatever and vice-versa.
Of course, and I don't want to get the "Omnia" sound.

I am more-so interested in that level of compression with that same amount of punch. I have been unable to achieve this. Can Stereo Tool achieve that?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:23 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

I am more-so interested in that level of compression with that same amount of punch. I have been unable to achieve this. Can Stereo Tool achieve that?

Thank you!
I have my preset wich is about -12 LUFS, it's derivat of my StudioOne preset. It has all spectrum dynamics, true peek protection, etc, but does 1not even close sound compressed like that your recording at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:27 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!
I have my preset wich is about -12 LUFS, it's derivat of my StudioOne preset. It has all spectrum dynamics, but does not even close sound compressed like that your recording at all.
Would you mind sharing it? I'd like to hear it.

Just to confirm that I understand you correctly -- Stereo Tool is not capable of such extreme levels of compression then?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:32 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!
I have my preset wich is about -12 LUFS, it's derivat of my StudioOne preset. It has all spectrum dynamics, but does not even close sound compressed like that your recording at all.
Would you mind sharing it? I'd like to hear it.

Just to confirm that I understand you correctly -- Stereo Tool is not capable of such extreme levels of compression then?

Thank you!
It is capable for whatever, more or less, but, we all have that last 40 and more years, everybody today is trying to NOT have that and maintain decent loudness, so every todays processors is avoiding 'audible' compression in core. You apparently like it and it's ok, but trends are changing, or better say, getting back to 'better'.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:39 pm 

Sorry, just saw your PM...

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:48 pm 

Did you get the sound you where looking for?