All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:49 pm 

I have installed the Youlean loudness meter to measure the loudness and most of all, if there's any dynamics left in the sound.

allthough i do get a measurement, i'm not sure if i do it right.

Should the output of stereotool be at 0 dB? If that's the case, my current preset has a loudness of -3.1 LUFS integrated. But the dynamic range is really low, i think? 3.7 LU.

Maybe someone can explain the LUFS system to me in normal English?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:58 am 

Quote:
I have installed the Youlean loudness meter to measure the loudness and most of all, if there's any dynamics left in the sound.

Should the output of stereotool be at 0 dB? If that's the case, my current preset has a loudness of -3.1 LUFS integrated. But the dynamic range is really low, i think? 3.7 LU.

LUFS is just a newer way of measuring the audio. 1 LUFS=1 db. Some audio engineers like it and some don't. If you don't understand what I'm saying id say go to audio forums and reddit is a great spot to post a question.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:16 pm 

Quote:

Youlean loudness meter is good for some sort of general orientation. For example adjusting music between -16 and -18 LUFS (depending what is your production meant for). Also for adjusting microphones, let's say plus/minus 2 LUFS (integrated) should a spoken word be mixed with the music. Depending what system will be used for playback and where, meaning the environment.

Should you work with several audio sources (not just one) any match based on loudness measurement could still be deceiving. (We experienced a radio host sounding much louder at -24 LUFS than the other at -16 LUFS). You might consider measuring a power frequency range, obtainable from spectral analyses. By other words, don't try to match numbers or curves, match the frequency power range (fields). Not too many places seem to use the procedure though.