All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Phase delay and others
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:46 pm 

Hello fellas!

I am sorry if it is wrong subforum, but I believe it fits best right here.

I am tweaking stereo tool from some time and trying to get closer to that smooth, loud but punchy sound... Call it stupid, but its not really for actual FM radio, but as a procesor chain for the mix in podcast. I know there are milion questions and there is not a chance to get the orban type of sound with any software, however I listened few dutch podcast and radio stations like 538 or slam fm and some of them they got that crazy good vibe in the bottom in the bass... sound just so different than on the original recordings that you can get on beatport etc... So the processing is done and you can hear it easily, and I dont think the guys who run soundcloud podcast got orbans, but right processing done. I really like is the sound that is continously on the same level without 'sudden jumps' - I believe this are two or three multibands settings done just right. It is that really warm sound that embrace on the bottom especially but in the same time it is smoot and constant.. So I started to experiment with phase delay and used for the bottom, that improved the bass a little bit, having that slide effect, but its still not the same. You can hear that especially when after the breakdown of track there is drop (emd/trance music) and when kickdrum goes in, the volume is not realy dropping of the track that much(!) , which is really hard to achieve only with one multiband, exposing in the same time mid low rolling fequencies. Instead, it is squieezed, but very clear!

I am pretty sure it is not a quite explanation here so I figured its best to show on the example. I used sample of music from Mr Sam (trance music), first one the original track from beatport, second the ripoff from dutch radio show by Armin.

The best way to explain is an audio example, so I prepared it right here.

https://youtu.be/d_hHylhtxWM

My question is, what do you think was used here to achieve such results? How many multibands? Seems like more of a mono plays here, could it be phase delay as well here for that bottom end?

For any suggestions I thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:28 pm 

Try phase delay settings from "Unreal Engine 2".

Btw, for me original is way better. Also i know it is way harder to keep it like that in processing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:20 am 

Phase delay can help to achieve the effect but it's not everything. Some suggestions to play around with:
-Synthesizing more bass with True Bass and/or Immersive Bass
-Using a limiter on the bass band to get rid of bass kicks, and then increasing the band mix to get a very constant bass.