All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Why this forum section?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

I often get questions via Facebook, Skype, phone or mail. And those are pretty often the same questions. So instead of answering them every time, I'm trying to collect them here. So, if you have a generic question like: Which license do I need? Do I need the declipper - what does it do? Which preset sounds best for my type of music? How does Stereo Tool compare to processor X? Which hardware do I need? How do I show the currently playing some in the RDS text?

Many of those questions are answered at several locations on this site (the help pages for example), but I get multiple questions like this every day, so I decided to open a forum section for all kinds of questions like this.

I should probably write a FAQ, but I'll use the texts and posts here for that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:40 am 

so far I think I can get most information from the ST visuals, but I can't find an explanation of the Natural Dynamics meters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:14 pm 

Quote:
so far I think I can get most information from the ST visuals, but I can't find an explanation of the Natural Dynamics meters.
Hans actually answered this question a few weeks ago. :P
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5937

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:33 pm 

Also, just a question about Stereo Tool in general. What lead you to the decision of making most of it free? It's a very well done radio processor and I'm having a hard time knowing you put all that time and effort into it only to release most of it free. :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, that's an easy one to explain. This thing started out as a hobby (actually as a project to learn to program in C++). At the point when I decided to make it paid, I left the free stuff free and only made things that I have added after that moment paid. Among others to get a huge user base (which is REALLY helpful because a lot of the suggestions for improvements are coming from free users), and to enable people to keep updating to newer versions so improvements in the sound will reach all of them and not only those that paid. That's basically it...

O, and also: Because I hate to have to pay for software :)

So I tried to make a distinction between features that you need when you're just listening at home, and those that professional users will need.