All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Make Presets louder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:55 pm 

Hi,

a general question: If I use a stereotool-preset - is there an easy way I can make it louder? For example from -11 LUFS to -10 LUFS?
Maybe via "pre/post amplifier"?

Post subject: Re: Make Presets louder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:16 pm 

There's not a direct LUFS control, but yes there are various ways to reduce the level a single dB. If using the advanced clipper, lower the drive 1dB by reducing the Quick-Adjust Loudness on the main processing page. Or you can go directly to the Advanced Clipper page and reduce the clipper drive, or enable the Limiter mode and attenuate it 1dB in the Limiter's settings. This is better than using the post-amp, as it creates more headroom rather than simply reducing the output gain.

edit: bleh I misread. Pretend I said increase instead of reduce. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:16 am 

Thanks, gonna try this with Studio One/Big Flex. Unfortunately I have to make a loud webradio :cry: , I know that -16, -18 LUFS or something like that would sound way better. But because of other technical reasons (nothing about the soundprocessing) I have no other choice and must make the best of it...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:20 pm 

Hi Ek95-

Here's a thought- if you are not in a situation where loudness is regulated, why concern yourself with LUFS?
Instead of LUFS/LKFS, would you consider thinking of it as RMS level below a peak ceiling?

Or just turn it up until your audience tells you it sounds distorted. Then back it off.

Friendly observation and opinion:

1. Many users here appear to be concerned with things that are not applicable to their situation.

2. In broadcasting, the end result of government regulated loudness is broadcasters having less control over how their audio content sounds to the audience. That in turn renders part of the art of audio processing useless. Processor manufacturers have gone through a lot of effort to make their products capable of meeting government regulated loudness, for no actual technical need.

Loudness regulation can be distinguished from peak level regulation, because in analog transmission peak level impacts interference between stations, and therefore regulation of peak level is appropriate.

Loudness regulation is nothing but politicians getting involved in the content creator-audience relationship.