All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:32 pm 

Hi,

Looking for ways to automate various parameters of Stereo Tool, whilst using it as a VST within Reaper, but it has a TON of parameters, all of them are named in such a way that it's simply not possible to figure out what is responsible for what! When I say "parameter names" I mean stuff like this: LdHiDeSl, BbStren, LdEnab, FmSca2Vo, etc, etc

I would like to know in particular, which variable/parameter names in the VST are responsible for the following:

>Togging "natural dynamics" to be on or off
>Effect strength

Within the "strength" tab for natural dynamics, the variables/parameters for each individual band's effect strength. And also... if there's parameters responsible for the "monitor" toggles on each of those bands? (not so i can use them, so that I can avoid using them!)

I'm a little surprised there isn't some sort of document/page of documentation anywhere listing what each variable name corresponds with... but luckily for me I am not looking for too much (I hope?).

On a completely unrelated note, I have not been able to guess what the "hear" toggle does in natural dynamics, if anyone can shed light on that, it would be much appreciated, however I realise it might be too far outside the scope of my original query, maybe I need to make a separate thread for that question.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and replies!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:29 pm 

I have taken a look at the following parameters: NDEnab, NDFlat, NDCoup, NDBands, NDLoLo, NDLoHi, NDDiff, GlobNDRS, NDFlatTp, NDFlatPr - none control effect strength, from what I can see, I have tested them one by one but also in combination with each other (as much as is reasonably possible... at least).

The "bands" one does something to the bands, I can find that out later... but I can see what it does at least, the Enab and Diff, are for some reason non-boolean (they really should be boolean) parameters for switching on natural dynamics, and the "difference" button.

So i hope it doesn't look like i'm being lazy and not trying to figure this out myself...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:24 am 
Site Admin

VST parameter names are really horrible - we need over 8000 of them and they all have to have a name of at most 8 characters...

I think you need parameter "XpMultTt", ID 2517.

Hint: If you open the web interface, you can use the browsers tooling to see the ID's (number value, so 2517 in this case) of every widget.
And there are VST tools that show you the ID of a parameter that changes, so if you change it in the GUI it will display the ID in a log.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:45 am 

Hi, thanks a lot for the reply!

Yes, this is exactly what I was after, and honestly, I don't think I would have guessed or figured it out through trial/error. Thank you so much.

I will be honest, I am not sure if I want to be getting into the area of learning about parameter IDs, in my few years of using reaper I have not had to do that, but I will keep your advice in mind! I still think maybe it's not a terrible idea for there to exist some sort of list, maybe even a txt file, where each parameter is listed with 1) what it controls is stereo tool, 2) what it's vst name is, and 3) what it's parameter ID is, maybe just the basic ones (the ones you can see in the UI)? But that would be a lot of work, it is merely a suggestion.

This may be easier to find, because they will be in sets of 9, but I will ask just in case, do you know the names of the parameters responsible for effect strength and frequency of the individual 9 bands that natural dynamics uses? If not, I can probably work them out after a few days... but if you know, it would be very helpful, but you've already helped a lot.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:37 pm 

Quote:
And there are VST tools that show you the ID of a parameter that changes, so if you change it in the GUI it will display the ID in a log.
Interesting. Would it be possible to add the Parameter name to the code in the new/web UI or something?

Perhaps this is relevant from the correspondence I had with the OP.
Quote:
If you touch a parameter, then go into "params" for the FX, it is supposed to show you the last touched parameter - this works for other VSTs for me, but for Stereo Tool it just says "No recently touched FX parameters".... also there is an action called "show/hide track envelope for last touched FX parameter", again, works with something like ReaComp but not with Stereo Tool... I think something somewhere is broken, and i'm not placing any blame on anybody from reaper's side or from thimeo's - but there's some sort of incompatibility somewhere, a minor one, stopping this from working. If you use the vst window to manipulate a parameter in ST, reaper's internal tracker of "what's happening" doesn't seem to register or care for it, whilst it does of course work and impact the sound. However if reaper is used to manipulate params, ST will respond to it, so it only works one way - reaper doesn't see what params you move in ST, but ST sees what params reaper's automation moves
Should this be submitted as a bug?

Natural Dynamics strength multiplier IDs and parameters:

Overall:
Code:
2517 "XpMultTt"
Strength bands:
Code:
2264 "NDMul 1"
2265 "NDMul 2"
2266 "NDMul 3"
2267 "NDMul 4"
2268 "NDMul 5"
2269 "NDMul 6"
2270 "NDMul 7"
2271 "NDMul 8"
2272 "NDMul 9"
Frequency bands:
Code:
2204 "NDFrq01"
2205 "NDFrq02"
2206 "NDFrq03"
2207 "NDFrq04"
2208 "NDFrq05"
2209 "NDFrq06"
2210 "NDFrq07"
2211 "NDFrq08"
2212 "NDFrq09"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:12 pm 

Thanks MrKlorox!

Apologies for the delayed response, but this is very helpful - I think I gave up trying to wrap my head around why certain things work or don't, but I'm just glad it was possible to do what I wanted.

By the way, it turns out there IS a parameter search in reaper, for arming envelope tracks, and it makes adding automation tracks for each parameter a lot faster! Finally something in reaper that *does* get along with stereo tool...

Thanks again to everyone for helping with something this niche.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:06 pm 

According to what I can see, I tested the following parameters: NDEnab, NDFlat, NDCoup, NDBands, NDLoLo, NDLoHi, NDDiff, GlobNDRS, NDFlatTp, NDFlatPr, or on web > seotoolsystem - none control effect strength (as much as is reasonably possible... at least).

I'll learn more about what the "bands" button does to the bands later, but I can see what it does at least; the Enab and Diff parameters for turning on natural dynamics and the "difference" button are oddly non-boolean (they really should be boolean).

So, I'm hoping it won't appear like I'm being lazy and not making an effort to figure things out on my own.